• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For those interested in Lafayette Dollars

16 posts in this topic

I've always liked the Lafayette Dollar and have made a habit out of providing the DuVall numbers on the coins I've sold over the years. I realize some may not know what DuVall numbers are, but they are courtesy of Frank DuVall who provided the diagnostics. There are essentially 4 DuVall varieties: 1A, 1B, 2c and 3D. The majority of the coins fall into 1B and 2c with these two varieties making up 90% of the population. 1A is the "stopper" making up approximately 2% of the population and 3D is not far behind making up approximately 6% of the population.

I've just recently imaged a very pretty Lafayette Dollar that happens to be DuVall 3D and other than a lone MS63 I handled back in 2000, it is only the 2nd I've handled. For the record I did not sell this coin, I was just asked to image it and provide the attribution. I've provided close-ups of the areas used for diagnostic purposes and annotated those images.

Not sure anyone cares but it would be fun to see others post their Lafayette Dollars along with the attibution if they are able.

laffyo.jpg

laffyr.jpg

laffyoa.jpg

laffyob.jpg

laffyra.jpg

Thats an amaizing coin...I was looking at one this past weekend and was going to the shop and make an offer on it...He wants a little over $300.00 for it...

One of my faverite commems..

Thanks for posting it. (thumbs u

I only wish I owned one! I've owned a couple, but this is an issue that seems to have an unusually large percentage that have been messed with.

Beautiful coin, and thanks for sharing!

Anything specific one should look for James?

Like the Isabella Quarter, this is one of the few commemoratives that have always intrigued me. Thanks for the great pics, and the lesson on die varieties -- I had no idea there were only 4 die pairings. :blush:

I posted this ATS because I found the OPs thread there first, but I think it's interesting enough to share again.

Frank is a member of my local coin club and very knowledgeable about not only US commemorative coins but US coins in general. I believe that he is a founding member of the Society for US Commemorative Coins. He recently sold a large portion of his commemorative collection through Heritage at the Summer ANA. Heritage featured about 50 of his commemoratives coins as the Frank DuVall Collection but he told me he consigned around 750 coins. Included with the featured coins was a variety of the Lafayette that he considered unique. Unfortunately it was slabbed by ANACS as cleaned, but was still a nice looking coin.

Here is the coin listing from Heritage.

Unique Lafayette

Very nice Lafayette Dollar, I do not own one but some day hope to acquire one. This one is a great example Mike and thank you for the education on them as well.

Rey

Anything specific one should look for James?

I was just thinking of the couple I've owned, neither of which was nice at all. Both were of EF/AU grades, but also cleaned. I didn't hold on to either very long. In looking for these in that grade range, I came to the conclusion that an awful lot were cleaned.

Sorry I don't have anything more insightful than that....

That is a fantastic coin! I am well aware of the die varieties of the Lafayette dollars, but their scarcity in truly attractive, original condition precludes my chasing after them. The only piece I own is a nicely worn VF.

I posted pics of the different varieties across the street if anyone is interested. The pics are of the ones I have. I tried to get the unique DuVall 4-E but was outbid in the recent Heritage auction. I guess I'll just have to be happy with the 4 more common varieties.

Thanks for the replies and I'm glad this was of interest to some.

I've handled just one DuVall 1A, the rarest of the 4 varieties, and it happened to be a PCGS MS65. Here are the images of that coin along with the annotated close-ups I had posted on my site when the coin was for sale.

l25942o.jpg

l25942r.jpg

25942oa.jpg

25942ra.jpg

25942ob.jpg

25942rb.jpg