• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Requesting Info On 1923-S VAM-1C Peace $1

2 posts in this topic

I purchased one of these as an ordinary choice AU 1923-S from a coin shop bid board. I saw the pitting on the reverse and knew it was probably a VAM of some sort but I do not collect VAMs, much less Peace Dollars. I matched it to the description of a 1C pitted reverse at VAMworld and pictures in Heritage Auctions archives. Everything I know about this coin was gleaned from VAMworld and Heritage- Top 50 Peace VAM, R-6 rarity, but not much of anything else.

I have a few questions about this:

How popular are Peace $1 VAMs?

Would it be worthwhile to get it graded/attributed?

What would be the recommended grading service?

-I know ANACS takes all submissions and attributes all VAMS and I believe that ANA and Ebay members have submission privleges to NGC. PCGS would be a toughie for me, I might be able to piggyback on a friends submission.

What is the approximate market value for an AU53-58 or is it more of a matter of what someone feels like paying on that particular day?

Thanks for your time in helping me out (thumbs u

According to VAMView, it is worth $75 in AU and $150 in MS60. There is no breakdown in pricing for various AU grades. Personally, I don't understand why any Morgan or Peace $ should be considered a "Top 100" or "Hot 50" coin just because a rusty, old die was used to strike it.

Chris