• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full steps on Jefferson nickels

9 posts in this topic

I am sure this question's been asked countless times, sorry if this is another tedious repeat! But, how does the "5 steps", "6 steps", or "full steps" designation work on certified coins?

The reason I ask is, I put together a couple of UNC sets over the last several years, every coin purchased raw and (I though) carefully selected for strike quality. I'd like to know how well I've done.

Sorry to sound like a total newbies... tongue.gif

James

I believe Full Step at NGC is 5 Full Steps, at PCGS it is 6 Full Steps... We may have more of an expert here who can answer your question though...

-Dave

Dvae, you've got the services backwards. PCGS is five steps, NGC is six. As a rule, NGC is stricter on designations (FB, FT, FH, FS) than PCGS.

I agree with Keith strongly on this one, Dave. I'm not certain what either service uses as the cutoff for its designator on this series, however, I know that NGC is stricter on the FS, FB, FT and FBL designators than PCGS is. As far as FH, and anything else I might be forgetting, I do not know.

I am sure this question's been asked countless times, sorry if this is another tedious repeat! But, how does the "5 steps", "6 steps", or "full steps" designation work on certified coins?

The reason I ask is, I put together a couple of UNC sets over the last several years, every coin purchased raw and (I though) carefully selected for strike quality. I'd like to know how well I've done.

Sorry to sound like a total newbies... tongue.gif

James

Hi James

I would be most interested in seeing your collections. If possible, 20 of your best stucked FS nickels. Then I would be able to give you my opinion on what you have.

Leo

Thanks for the feedback. Lucy, where did you get that picture? (No, the other one....).

I've never imaged my personal collections, which include the Jeffersons, and also a raw set of Franklin halves. I've shown the halves to MadMarty and after he told me I suck, he did have to admit there are a few good coins in there wink.gif. So needless to say, my followup would be "what's the official word on FBL". MadMarty told me that, as someone else mentioned, NGC is stricter than PCGS on FBL, requiring that both sets of bell lines be fully struck. Where PCGS would require only the lower set of lines be fully struck.

Just by way of background information, I am also working on a set of Lincoln sets with matching brown color in XF, and a set of SLQ's in XF/AU.

I gave up on completing my Sacagawea set last year when I couldn't find any dated before 1999. Those really old coins are tough!

James