• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian dollar coins for 2007

12 posts in this topic

Here is what the RCM has issued so far this year:

2007 Baby Lullabies CD and Sterling Silver Dollar Set: $34.95

2007 Baby Keepsake Tins and Sterling Silver Dollar Set: $34.95 (note, the dollar design is different on this one)

2007 Premium Baby Coin Collection: $89.95 (has same design sterling silver dollar as CD set, but with gold plated devices)

2007 Wedding Set: $89.95 (has regular loon design in proof sterling silver)

2007 Specimen Set: $45.95 (has unique aureate dollar design)

2007 brilliant uncirculated silver dollar: $34.95

2007 proof silver dollar: $42.95 (same design as previous silver dollar)

2007 proof set: $89.95 (same design as proof dollar but with gold plated devices)

2007 Celebration of the Arts proof silver dollar: $54.95

2007 Gold Louis proof dollar: $104.95

2007 brilliant uncirculated set: $21.95

2007 circulation strike loon: $1.00

Unless the RCM churns out more goodies for us (e.g. a holiday sterling silver dollar), a collector will have to pay $646.45 CDN to get one of each dollar type and variety (12 in all) issued in 2007. Happy shopping!

I like Canadian coinage but the proliferation is worse than the US Mint. The product is excellent but as you note, nearly impossible to keep up with the many changes that take place, even within a series. The only thing I have kept up with them is the annual flower 50 cent piece which will be given to my daughters down the road.

2007 Baby Lullabies CD and Sterling Silver Dollar Set: $34.95 NCLT not a coin

2007 Baby Keepsake Tins and Sterling Silver Dollar Set: $34.95 (note, the dollar design is different on this one) NCLT not a coin

2007 Premium Baby Coin Collection: $89.95 (has same design sterling silver dollar as CD set, but with gold plated devices) NCLT not a coin

2007 Wedding Set: $89.95 (has regular loon design in proof sterling silver) NCLT not a coin

2007 Specimen Set: $45.95 (has unique aureate dollar design) NCLT not a coin

2007 brilliant uncirculated silver dollar: $34.95 NCLT not a coin

2007 proof silver dollar: $42.95 (same design as previous silver dollar) NCLT not a coin

2007 proof set: $89.95 (same design as proof dollar but with gold plated devices) NCLT not a coin

2007 Celebration of the Arts proof silver dollar: $54.95 NCLT not a coin

2007 Gold Louis proof dollar: $104.95 NCLT not a coin

2007 brilliant uncirculated set: $21.95 These are coins, but if the dollar in this set is different from the next and not issued for circulation then it too is NCLT

2007 circulation strike loon: $1.00 This is a coin

Total cost for buying 2007 Canadian dollar COINS is now either $22.95 or $1. One mans opinion.

For all these "Not a coin", are they officially just tokens/medals. I ask because one can say the same NCLT for ASEs, right?

Yea, verily.

Collecting circulating coins and numismatic specimens thereof is indeed less expensive than collecting NCLT tokens/medals.

BTW, the loon in the Wedding Set is a sterling silver version of the circulating aureate coin. What do you think of different metal strikes of circulating designs, o curmudgeonly one? ;)

For all these "Not a coin", are they officially just tokens/medals. I ask because one can say the same NCLT for ASEs, right?

Sorry, I am a bit of a purist. I believe that in order to be a "coin" it has to be issued with the intent to circulate as money, and it does not necessarily have to be legal tender. And I do consider silver eagles to be NCLT, I don't consider them to be coins.

Collecting circulating coins and numismatic specimens thereof is indeed less expensive than collecting NCLT tokens/medals.
Not always true. Generally at the shallow end of the pool, NCLT will be more expensive but in the deep end of the pool conditionally rare business strikes often sell for much more than NCLT. For example, do rare Morgan business strikes sell for more than similarly rare Morgan proof NCLT?

Sorry, I am a bit of a purist. I believe that in order to be a "coin" it has to be issued with the intent to circulate as money, and it does not necessarily have to be legal tender. And I do consider silver eagles to be NCLT, I don't consider them to be coins.
Generally I'm in agreement. Many modern NCLT are essentially medals with a low face value simply to make them attractive to coin collectors.

As a note, NCLT are not tokens. Tokens are circulated as a medium of exchange, just restricted by venue. There are also non-circulating tokens but NCLT don't qualify because if NCLT were ever used at face value, it wouldn't be restricted by venue. NCLT are more coins than they are tokens, but perhaps more medals than they are coins.

Liberty Dollars are trying to be coins more than say the American Eagles. People run around trying to spend $20 face value Liberty Dollars for $20. They even handle them directly and bounce them off tables to let people hear the sound of silver. How many people try to spend a American Silver Eagle or one of the coins listed in the OP for face value?

I found this file, so I thought I'd show what a real Canadian silver dollar looks like:
Nice coin :) Just to be clear, NCLT are "real Canadian silver dollars" ... they just may not be "real coins." Slight difference.

I found this file, so I thought I'd show what a real Canadian silver dollar looks like:
Nice coin :) Just to be clear, NCLT are "real Canadian silver dollars" ... they just may not be "real coins." Slight difference.

Point taken.

Just to follow up, dollar coins are "real coins" but "Reel Coinz" issued by the RCM are not real coins. ;)