• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New shield nickel - variety help wanted

9 posts in this topic

Just bought this as an upgrade for my type set. It does look like previous dips have washed out the coin but I liked the die cracks on both obverse and reverse (not really detectable on these photos). Does anyone know what variety this coin is? While looking I found the following website http://www.shieldnickels.net/

44200-IMG_2355.jpg.bcbb1f094520ad755c65b67eca5dd87c.jpg

44201-IMG_2356.jpg.81a7e3ddd1056dbeb67ec57cabf20e09.jpg

44202-IMG_2356a.jpg.a0a7ddb665d9cf92a1b9e3204e3b49ac.jpg

Interesting. Although you're focusing on the reverse, the obverse was struck with a narrow-date die variety, FS-005 (S1-0000, F-01). I don't believe that there are any reported doubled die reverses for 1869, much less one paired with a narrow-date obverse. That doesn't mean that you don't have one (the possibility of new discoveries is part of what makes collecting Shield Nickels fun), but it makes me initially doubtful that the reverse is doubled. I'd want to check the anomoly in the E in CENTS with a loupe and the coin in hand to determine if what appears to be doubling has some other cause, e.g., a die chip, that could account for the lack of doubling elsewhere on the reverse.

The Shield Nickel website belongs to Howard Spindel, who goes by the handle "Skippy" here on the boards. He visits occasionally and will likely add his comments.

Nice specimen, hoard. I wouldn't be too concerned about the dipping, most coins that old have been dipped/cleaned, but this one does not appear to have been harshly dipped. I have not seen a variety of the #8 into the ball, nor the doubling of the E in cents. Dooly, delves into these quite a bit. Maybe he is reading this evening. Sorry, I couldn't help.

Jim

As Lou told you, you have a narrow date 1869 FS-005 (S1-0000, F-01). These are not rare, but still nice to find.

More importantly, it looks to me like you have an RPD north on the 1 (and possibly other digits) that does not match any catalogued variety. I would have to see the coin in person to be sure. If you would like to submit it to me for possibly cataloguing (in SNV, where you get a contributor's credit), send me some private email at howard@sci1.com

As Lou also mentioned, there are no known DDRs for 1869. I am less optimistic that you have a DDR here, because I don't think I see evidence of anywhere other than on the E you enlarged. However, if you would like me to examine the coin I can tell you for sure. An 1869 DDR, especially on a narrow date, would be a very interesting discovery.

I would agree that it looks like a repunched date, but not DDR. I see traces of the repunching on the 186 and possibly some on the 9. The spikes on the sides of the red stripes in the shield are strong but I can't tell if they are fro slight spalling caused in the hubbing process that has not been polished off in the final polishing of the die, or wear spikes from a long used die. The multitude of die cracks would either point to an old die, or one that failed early.

The spikes on the sides of the red stripes in the shield are strong but I can't tell if they are fro slight spalling caused in the hubbing process that has not been polished off in the final polishing of the die, or wear spikes from a long used die.

The spikes look like typical shield nickel die fatigue spikes to me. Pretty common.

Howard, sent you an email with photos. Let me know if you want to see the coin. Everyone thanks for the help, this has been quite exciting. I am not a collector of shield nickels but this clearly could be type you could spend a lifetime collecting. Who knew there were so many varieties. Thanks again.

Got your photos and sent you an email response. I see the same things in the photos you sent as I said above.

Shield Nickels can be more than one lifetime of collecting. No one will ever have them all. I have a smaller goal of getting all of the DDOs, but I'll never achieve even that.