• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm wondering...hm

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone find it strange or suspect when a coin (toned) sells for three to ten times full PCGS book value for it's grade? hm

The reason I ask this is because I was watching a coin ($70 full book value) being bid around $50. I walked into the living room, got a cup of coffee, came back, and WHACK! There was a bidder that bid-up the coin from around $50 to over $200. And then the same bidder turned around and completed two more consecutive bids for the same coin.

I have been watching the coins this particular seller puts on Ebay. Without hardly a deviation, the coins usually go for three to ten times more than full book value. And usually, there is one very large up-bid.

Please do not ask me to reveal what seller it is. I will not. And please don't tell me it's a wasted thread if I don't. I am seeking your opinion on this...not a forum to start the Salem Witch Trials again.

Thanks.

It all depends on the coin. If you aren't willing to share that bit of information then you will not receive anywhere near the benefit of the knowledge that is available on these boards.

Does anyone find it strange or suspect when a coin (toned) sells for three to ten times full PCGS book value for it's grade?
The answer would be dependent upon what the coin was. Therefore we don't have enough information to provide an answer.

I am seeking your opinion on this...

There is not enough information divulged in your question to postulate a reasonable answer to your query.

1.) are the coins raw/slabbed?

2.) what were some of the coins, hi grade, low-grade?

3.) suspect??? As in shill bidder?

4.) One large up-bid…are you saying someone is deliberately bidding high, just to raise the price?

5.) have you checked the sellers feed back on sold items, i.e.; are high bidders leaving feedback?

It all depends on the coin. If you aren't willing to share that bit of information then you will not receive anywhere near the benefit of the knowledge that is available on these boards.

(thumbs u :applause:

I have found that the cheaper the coin, the more of a premium relative to sheet value a vividly toned example is likely to garner -- so what you describe does not surprise me in the least.

I also agree with others who have noted that without examining the coin/auction in question it is very hard to say anything further...Mike

Does anyone find it strange or suspect when a coin (toned) sells for three to ten times full PCGS book value for it's grade? hm

The reason I ask this is because I was watching a coin ($70 full book value) being bid around $50. I walked into the living room, got a cup of coffee, came back, and WHACK! There was a bidder that bid-up the coin from around $50 to over $200. And then the same bidder turned around and completed two more consecutive bids for the same coin.

I have been watching the coins this particular seller puts on Ebay. Without hardly a deviation, the coins usually go for three to ten times more than full book value. And usually, there is one very large up-bid.

Please do not ask me to reveal what seller it is. I will not. And please don't tell me it's a wasted thread if I don't. I am seeking your opinion on this...not a forum to start the Salem Witch Trials again.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t call it a totally wasted thread, it is a good example of how one should post a question with as much factual information that is available. (thumbs u

On eBay it's called "sniping" or a "snipe", look it up. I'd provide more information, but in the interest of national security you'll have to do it yourself.

:signofftopic:(tsk)

That sounds to like a snipe, is it not? It's a pretty common practice on eBay for any collectible.

It seems just as likely to me, the poster of this is just not good at judging book value, as it is that a seller has an elaborate scheme to consistently shill his own stuff.