• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Question

2 posts in this topic

I'm not quite sure if any of you have followed the Norweb/Not-Norweb Hibernia pedigree issues that a fellow board member has had recently, but I thought I'd ask anyway. What is the process involved for NGC to verify the provenance of a coin before a pedigree can be issued? If NGC is asked to cross a pedigree coin, does NGC cross (if applicable) the coin with pedigree intact, or is further provenance required?

Andy

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For raw coins, we require that a piece be either submitted in its original, unopened auction flip or be matchable to a photo plate in the catalog. For crossover submissions from reliable grading services, we will usually include the pedigree unless there is some reason to question it. In those cases, it must be photo matched to either the original collection or a subsequent appearance that is reliably cataloged.

On a related subject, the only pedigrees that appear in our Census Report are those of very famous collections, such as Norweb, Eliasberg, Pittman and Garrett. The same policy applies to world coins, though the roster of worthy names will be somewhat different.

NGC may still include other pedigree information on a coin's grading label, but this may be excluded from the Census at our discretion.