• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1878 S Morgan... The accidental pick of the cherry.

7 posts in this topic

This morning my 6 year old and I went to the Local B&M...

As she gets restless and I hurridly glance over the case of Morgans I see this 1878 S That although has some what appears to be Cabinet friction on the obverse, the reverse is very appealing to me so I put it on the counter..

Then I proceed to check the bargain boxes with my daughter...

That will be a post in itself...

When I checked the Morgan I saw that there was some doubleing of the motto but when I got home and had the chance to Really look I find that it's a bit of a pick.. Not huge by any meens but a Really nice example of a VAM 6 Hot 50..

From wiki;1878-S VAM-6 DDO "RIB"

This coin is a Hot 50 Morgan Dollar.

Rarity: R-4

II 5 . B2j (Doubled motto, Engraved Wing Feather)

Obverse II5- Motto letters doubled on surface. Doubled LIBERTY shifted left and up.

Point on fourth right star not broken.

Reverse B2j – Smooth feather engraved between eagle’s right wing and leg. Engraving lines are present between eagle’s right wing and body. R in Trust is broken.

78S-1.png

78S-2.png

78S-3.png

78S-rev.png

78S-5.png

Nice find.

That is NOT "cabinet friction" on the jaw, however.

It is the original planchet striations showing through where they didn't get completely struck out.

Nice find.

That is NOT "cabinet friction" on the jaw, however.

It is the original planchet striations showing through where they didn't get completely struck out.

I believe you are correct Mr Carr. I had come to that conclusion myself when I was going through the "Show me your Silver Dollars " Thread and Dwaine's 1878 has the exact striations on his 1878 that he posted..

As An Aside I sent an Email to Rob Joyce offering the picture for wiki VAM pages..

We all use the wiki as a Reference and If you have a VAM and they have no picture I feel that we should as a board support them and get them what we can.