• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another CN3 cent question

11 posts in this topic

The "staining" is likely corrosion and even if not, I believe it's a very bad risk at the current price. In most cases you're looking for trouble by bidding on 3 figure (uncertified) coins on Ebay.

The "stain" would keep me from bidding on this coin. Stains and carbon spots really turn me off because I tend to end up focusing on those areas no matter how nice the coin. I am not a 3cent collector you can likely find better if you look.

The coin is a definite PASS. Who knows what that ugly black stuff is and if it didn't come off perfectly fine, then your eyes will always go to it.

Okee Dokee, just wondering with the scarcity of the coin if it would be worth the risk.

What could it be?? Doesn't look like any kind of corrosion I have seen?

Thanks again,

Ray

not a scarce coin not even close

and it is a no brainer pass................

Maybe not "scarce" but at 5000 it is fairly hard to locate a decent example.

Ray

I'm going to disagree with Michael on this one...it is definitely a scarce coin and not one easy to find anywhere. This is the first one offered on eBay in a long time. I don't see any in any dealer's inventories and I've yet to see one on any bourse floor I've been on. That's not to say they're not out there but they're a far cry from common.

Yes, it is a scarce is date, but are you looking to start a collection of Nickel Three Cent Pieces, or are you only attracted because of the low mintage? If you are building a lower grade set, it might be worth a go if you can live with the spot. If it’s just to have something with a low mintage, you are on your way to owning a hodge-podge collection with not much rhyme or reason behind it.

As for the spot (s) and there are actually several of them, I’d say it might be a case of poor mixing of the copper and the nickel. The copper concentrations tone dark while the copper-nickel stays white. At any the spots are distracting, and would turn off a lot of collectors as you have seen here.

The situation reminds me a bit of what I found many years ago when I was putting together an EF-AU set of Two Cent Pieces. The 1872 is the bear in that set. (1873 is either a Proof only issue or a Restrike and could be ignored for business strike collection IMO.) Most 1872 Two Cent Pieces are worn to death or they are Proofs (usually poorly made ones that challenge one to decide if they are Proof or Unc.) Sadly many of the coins with EF or AU sharpness also seem to have corrosion spots. So as a collector the coin drives you nuts. I eventually filled the hole with a poorly made PR-64, Brown or at least that was grade I put on it during those pre-slab days of the late 1970s.

Yes, it is a scarce is date, but are you looking to start a collection of Nickel Three Cent Pieces, or are you only attracted because of the low mintage? If you are building a lower grade set, it might be worth a go if you can live with the spot. If it’s just to have something with a low mintage, you are on your way to owning a hodge-podge collection with not much rhyme or reason behind it.

As for the spot (s) and there are actually several of them, I’d say it might be a case of poor mixing of the copper and the nickel. The copper concentrations tone dark while the copper-nickel stays white. At any the spots are distracting, and would turn off a lot of collectors as you have seen here.

The situation reminds me a bit of what I found many years ago when I was putting together an EF-AU set of Two Cent Pieces. The 1872 is the bear in that set. (1873 is either a Proof only issue or a Restrike and could be ignored for business strike collection IMO.) Most 1872 Two Cent Pieces are worn to death or they are Proofs (usually poorly made ones that challenge one to decide if they are Proof or Unc.) Sadly many of the coins with EF or AU sharpness also seem to have corrosion spots. So as a collector the coin drives you nuts. I eventually filled the hole with a poorly made PR-64, Brown or at least that was grade I put on it during those pre-slab days of the late 1970s.

Bill,

I am working on a set (just getting started) and I wasn't sure what that "toning" was caused by.

Strike of the coin looks decent and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these kinds of marks.

Thanks for the heads up,

Ray