• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick opinion needed on the reputation of....

18 posts in this topic

National Numismatic Certification as a grading service. Are they dependable? Do they encapsulate cleaned/damaged coins? Do they have any redeeming qualities. Since I am not a great grader, I am just curious about the odds of my NNC encapsulted 1862 Gold dollar (type III) actually being the stated MS65. That would make it relatively valuable. Even if they over grade by a few points, I would like to know - thanks!

Jeff

No. In my opinion, NNC is not dependable -- unless you consider overgrading and allowing cleaned/whizzed and otherwise problematic coins into its holders.

Post a pic of your coin, and someone will be able to tell you roughly what grade and value it is.

Hope this helps...Mike

National Numismatic Certification as a grading service. Are they dependable? Do they encapsulate cleaned/damaged coins? Do they have any redeeming qualities. Since I am not a great grader, I am just curious about the odds of my NNC encapsulted 1862 Gold dollar (type III) actually being the stated MS65. That would make it relatively valuable. Even if they over grade by a few points, I would like to know - thanks!

Jeff

Based upon the odds, my guess is that chances of the coin grading as high at NGC or PCGS are extremely remote. Also, keep in mind that if it grades 2 or more more points lower, there is a significant difference in value.

No help here, stockplunge. My first Ebay Morgan purchase was an MS64pl NNC 1881 S which in reality was an AU 55. I learned a good lesson and have never bought any of their graded merchandise since. Good luck.

The only time I'll even consider an NNC coin is if it is problem-free and I happen to be looking for that particular coin three grades lower than the stated grade of the NNC coin. Of course, they don't claim to be proficient graders so you be the judge.

Chris

pass pass

in actuality you are better to have someone in your family grade it who not only knows nothing about coins but that is over 95 and blind

and in all seriousness they would actually do a much better job .................

Ok here are some pictures - I guess I should know by the way the coin is all skewed in the holder, but opinions as to grade and whether or not it has been cleaned/altered are appreciated! Please excuse the pictures - sonce the coin is turned in the plastic it was very hard to get the coin in focus (at least without messing around with the f-stop). The coin is "graded" as MS-65 from NNC.

Give it your best shot!

Thanks, Jeff

44408-obverse1.jpg.c4fb8aa014dbd05d2964ce10563a6aa3.jpg

44409-reverse1.jpg.52e8ff687c5055cd8385380f43f8a134.jpg

Notice the damage just below the point of the bust along the rim and again at the top on the reverse. This may have been a jewelry piece and this was where it was attached. Don't know for sure but I would STAY AWAY! JMO.

I don't see the damage, but it looks like either an AU-58 or an MS-62 in the photos. Either way, this issue is available in quantity at these grade levels in an NGC holder for a few bucks over wholesale at major shows and auctions. I see no reason to take a risk and buy this coin.