• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The changing reverse of Sacagawea

13 posts in this topic

Apparently the congress has passed a law that would change the reverse of the Sac dollar every year starting in 2009 to show various images of Native American history. Apparently someone thought that the reason the Sac wasn't as "popular" as the pres dollars is that the Sacs had unchanging designs from year to year (apparently no one told these people that the Pres dollars aren't doing too well hm ).

Personally, I don't think it'll change anything. Congress still can't figure out that the problem with the dollar coin is the dollar bill.

At this point Congress doesn’t care about a circulating dollar. They are more interested in selling junk to coin collectors, and issuing coins that create seignorage and artificially lower the National Debt.

Haven’t you seen the ads on TV? We are all obsessed knit wits who sit in the street on our butts looking for change or crawling around on the floor looking for change.

Has the law actually passed, or is it a case of "just got out of committee" or "passed by the House, headed to the Senate" or "awaiting the president's signature" or something else of that sort? Scott B, can you shed some light?

Has the law actually passed, or is it a case of "just got out of committee" or "passed by the House, headed to the Senate" or "awaiting the president's signature" or something else of that sort? Scott B, can you shed some light?

From: http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=7024975

Personally, I don't think it'll change anything. Congress still can't figure out that the problem with the dollar coin is the dollar bill.

Nothing is going to happen to the dollar federal reserve note as long as Stenny Hoyer (D-MD 5th) is part of the Leadership. Eliminating the $1 note will reduce the production out of BEP by 60-70%. Since many of his constituents work for the BEP, he will not allow any legislation that has the potential to eliminate 200-300 jobs from his district.

It has nothing to do with "figuring out." It has everything to do with politics!!

Scott :hi:

Apparently the congress has passed a law that would change the reverse of the Sac dollar every year starting in 2009 to show various images of Native American history. Apparently someone thought that the reason the Sac wasn't as "popular" as the pres dollars is that the Sacs had unchanging designs from year to year (apparently no one told these people that the Pres dollars aren't doing too well hm ).

:frustrated: when will congress learn!?

Nothing is going to happen to the dollar federal reserve note as long as Stenny Hoyer (D-MD 5th) is part of the Leadership. Eliminating the $1 note will reduce the production out of BEP by 60-70%. Since many of his constituents work for the BEP, he will not allow any legislation that has the potential to eliminate 200-300 jobs from his district.

It has nothing to do with "figuring out." It has everything to do with politics!!

Scott :hi:

Much of that 60-70% difference would be made up by stepping up production of $2 notes. :)

No, when will you learn that the problem with the dollar coin is that PEOPLE DON"T WANT ONE!!! The US public has never supported such a coin and show no signs of changing their opinion.

Apparently someone thought that the reason the Sac wasn't as "popular" as the pres dollars is that the Sacs had unchanging designs from year to year (apparently no one told these people that the Pres dollars aren't doing too well ).

I think it is more likely just a political special interest group saw a chance to advance their cause since the Sac dollar had already given them a wedge in the door. If it had been some other women other than a "Native American" on the coin we might have seen a lobbying effort by NOW to have changing designs honoring famous women in American History. It has nothing to do with popularity, just politics.

I'll be right there buying a DANSCO album for the P,D & S mints, just like the rest of you. And if the rest of you don't, and there's only 5 million collectors instead of 50 million, even better.

Seriously though, I hardly think that having more or less coinage is going to be the "swing" vote in anybody's campaign. Conder is right, this is a special interest group(s) who found a way to be heard/seen, as was the case with the sacs in the first place.

At this point Congress doesn’t care about a circulating dollar. They are more interested in selling junk to coin collectors, and issuing coins that create seignorage and artificially lower the National Debt.

Haven’t you seen the ads on TV? We are all obsessed knit wits who sit in the street on our butts looking for change or crawling around on the floor looking for change.

you must be a carpenter, billjones, because you nailed it!

halfpint (steve)

Why not just sell the right to have your own portrait on a million coins…like selling the name of a stadium… limit it to individuals who can pay the hefty design and naming fee.