• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

57 Proof franklin still in the flat pack

5 posts in this topic

I'm not sure, but you can get that sort of an effect when you get insufficient metal into certain parts of MS Franklins, so in essence I would guess you are correct. FYI that is not enough of a cameo to be so designated on a 1st world slab.

I'm not sure, but you can get that sort of an effect when you get insufficient metal into certain parts of MS Franklins, so in essence I would guess you are correct. FYI that is not enough of a cameo to be so designated on a 1st world slab.

I agree. This is a common problem on MS frankies, but I haven't seen it on a proof before. It might also be a planchet flaw.

I presume that these "sideburns" move with the coin in the pocket if you lightly move it around. If they move, they are either a planchet flaw or a mark that got on the coin before it was placed in the flat pack. This is unusual because these coins were often in nice shape when they went into these Proof sets from he 1950s. Cameo coins are scrarce, especially two sided cameo coins, but "nice" coins were not.