• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1847 Braided Hair...your opinions please.

6 posts in this topic

I picked this up from a guy in the United Kingdom. Of course, it was alot darker than the photos...almost a chocolate brown with a hint of dark red showing through. Other than that, the coin is as shown. Do you recommend PCGS or NGC for grading? Feel free to give your opinions on grade and or anything else. Thanks.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/cavindabush/020b5d85.jpg?t=1188993990

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/cavindabush/fb350bc1.jpg?t=1188994052

I'm not sure I would send that coin in at all....

If selling is your concern, then I'd submit to PCGS before I'd submit to NGC as per the following recommendations: I would recommend PCGS for grading if you think the coin will slab there, and NGC if it won't. NGC's large cent copper grading, in my opinion, leaves a bit to be desired and the prices realized (on average) follow this trend.

That said, if the coin were mine, I wouldn't have the coin graded at all. I'd get a nice airtite and enjoy the coin for what it is -- a nice looking 1847 with a heck of a lot of detail left.

As far as the grade, it looks to me to have MS details. Fairly well struck, too. Minuses include the hits on liberty's nose, a few spots, and a lack of luster which may be a function of the scan or evidence of conservation/doctoring. Provided the coin has luster commensurate with an original mint-state 1847 (and I have my doubts), I would TPG grade the coin MS 63 or 64 BN.

All IMHO and respectfully submitted...Mike

Nice coin - looks AU. It would make a great addition to a late-date collection and I'd not bother slabbing the piece unless you like your coins stored that way.

Hoot

It's tough to say with certainty [without the coin in hand] whether or not the break in detail over the ear and high points in the hair is due to rub or strike. That being said, I could see this piece in either AU58 or MS62 plastic. What does concern me is the coloration on this piece. It seems to be a bit darker along the major devices (Libertys' profile and stars) and lighter in the fields. I've seen this on cleaned/recolored pieces before. The green spot on the reverse also gives me cause for concern. The TPGs are pretty rough on copper. Some time ago Bill posted a few early coppers that I thought were just spectacular that got bb'd for recoloring. FWIW... I agree with Mike...put it in an air-tight and look at it often!!

I don't think the coin is nice enough to spend the money on slabbing. If preservation is your goal, good album or an airtight makes sense.

Slabs are not that great for copper coins any way because they can be moisture traps. Moisure promotes problems on copper coins.