• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Victory Liberty Loan medal

1 post in this topic

I'm doing some research on this medal and the associated Victory Liberty Loans, how they were issued/sold, redeemed, the art behind them, etc.

There is a common medal issued by the US Treasury for this which says "MADE FROM CAPTURED GERMAN CANNON". Does anyone know who designed and/or engraved this and where they were made? Also info like in what year(s) they were made would be useful. This medal is very common and doesn't seem that interesting from the ones available on the bay but the history around the event is very rich for me. Here's a photo of the medal from the article referenced below:

liberty_loan_medal.jpg

There are other medals associated with this major event in US history which I'm also interested in.

There are apparently two articles on this medal in two coin publications. It would be great to get a hold of these articles if anyone has them.

1) JOMSA: Vol 55, No 1, Jan-Feb 2004: Article by Murray A. Louis

2) SETS NEWS (Southeast Token Society): Vol 2, No 4, Dec 1993

Here's an article on the Liberty Loan Campaign with the following photo. Seems like an interesting area to read up on.

liberty_loan_campaign.jpg