• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (literature)

13 posts in this topic

In 1883, Capt. John Haseltine published a monograph titled ``A CLASSIFICATION OF THE EARLY HALF DIMES OF THE UNITED STATES. WITH A FEW REMARKS ON THEIR TYPES, VARIETIES, RARITY, ETC., ETC.''

Who wrote this?

BTW, I'm asking this because I won a supposedly mint reprint of this on eBay recently. I haven't received it yet, but I'm pretty excited.

I was reminded of this this morning when I pulled out my LM book to attribute a Capped Bust half dime. I realized that the author of the above book didn't care much for the Capped Bust design...

[Edited to add that I also won a set of 3 b&w photographic plates from the Eliasberg gold auction.]

EVP

EVP: What is the question? The only three things That I could find from a John W. Haseltine from from that area is

1)"Type table of United States Dollars, Half Dollars, and Quarters." Published in 1891 reprinted by B. Max Mehl in 1927

2) "Description of the paper money issued by the Continental Congress of the United States and the Several colonies" Published in 1872 30pp

3)"Descriptive catalogue of Confederate notes and bonds" Published in 1876 35 pp

What is the question?

The question is: who wrote the monograph mentioned in the first post (and published by Haseltine in 1883)?

BTW, Haseltine did NOT write the monograph. His Type Table covered quarters, halves and dollars.

EVP