• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Differences

15 posts in this topic

What's the difference between a BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) coin? I've seen some coins graded by NGC, slabbed BU. What's more valuable, a BU coin or MS with a high grade? To be considered for BU, the coin itself must be in top shape. I've always wondered the difference, maybe someone can sum it up.

Thanks, Hardy.

Brilliant Uncirculated A generic term for any coin that has not been in circulation.

Gem BU Synonym for Gem Brilliant Uncirculated.

Gem An adjective that the A.N.A. applies to coins which grade Mint State or Proof-67. Most dealers, however, apply the adjective to any coin which they grade MS/Proof-65.

Hope this helps. (thumbs u

brilliant uncirculated (BU), choice BU, gem BU, select BU and premium BU Are all BU.

I have always heard of 5 BU designations.

MS denotes the 60-70 numeral grades.

NGC slabs marked Brilliant Uncirculated are coins that didn't meet the minimum grade specified in a bulk order.

Most of the "BU" slabs are done by bulk submitters. For example, if a bulk submitter was running a program on Silver Eagles, he might ask NGC to encapsulate all the MS-69 and 70 coins with normal labels. He may also request that anything 68 and lower go into a Brilliant Uncirculated Holder.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know what the grade was that the coin didn't meet, since there are no restrictions on how low of a grade can be specified for the threshold.

Clear as mud?

BU and MS can be used interchangably, but they do not mean the same thing. The term BU (brilliant uncirculated) was used long before the hobby/industry embraced the numerical grading scale of 1-70 where the MS (mint state) grades comprise the 60-70 section of the scale. Loosely, a BU coin might be thought of as MS60-MS62; a choice BU might be MS63-MS64; a gem BU might be MS65-MS66 and a superb gem BU might be MS67 or better.

BU and MS can be used interchangably, but they do not mean the same thing. The term BU (brilliant uncirculated) was used long before the hobby/industry embraced the numerical grading scale of 1-70 where the MS (mint state) grades comprise the 60-70 section of the scale. Loosely, a BU coin might be thought of as MS60-MS62; a choice BU might be MS63-MS64; a gem BU might be MS65-MS66 and a superb gem BU might be MS67 or better.

that's what i remember from the past,tom. i still have some coins i bought with those designations on the 2x2's!

and also with split grades too.

halfpint

TomB nailed this one but I just wanted to add that a uncirculated naturally "toned" coin may not necessarily achieve this catch-all designation that was used so many, many years ago. There were lots of times, I would see the word “tarnished” applied to the description of a coin…OH the Horror!

Also, it seems the grading services will accept "batches" of uncirculated coins for a "blanket grade" of BU, thereby avoiding a seasoned experts opinion on each coin but still getting it encapsulated.

If NCG would like to refute this last statement, I would welcome that.

What's the difference between a BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) coin? I've seen some coins graded by NGC, slabbed BU. What's more valuable, a BU coin or MS with a high grade? To be considered for BU, the coin itself must be in top shape. I've always wondered the difference, maybe someone can sum it up.

Thanks, Hardy.

This is what I call Gem BU

43936-195750cPCGS65-2867-obv.jpg.fb2b94cd576c7b9375d50b3c50fcd345.jpg

Tom, when did the use of the term "Premium Quality" come into vogue? Where does it "fit in" with the descriptors you listed? I remember them well, but I don't remember the use of "PQ". In my early years of collecting (50's & 60's), I didn't subscribe to any of the trade publications, and I took a break from collecting for almost 20 years. During my hiatus, the Sheldon Scale came into being. Now, I see "Premium Quality" used so often by dealers in their ads. I've thought about this often, but never made it a point to ask.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris---- I think that "premium quality" or "PQ" sort of just appeared one day. And the terminology caught on from there. Sort of like "market acceptable". No one seems to know where that started either. I do not remember "PQ" much before about 10 years ago---although may have seen 'premium BU' in some of the written ads before that.

I usually think in terms of a "PQ" coin as being an exceptionally nice coin from the Gem grades upward [ MS65 and above}. But I have seen folks use the term for a nice VF or XF coin. Seems whatever hype that you can come up with that will help you sell a coin.

Maybe somebody can come up with a better answer? But that's all I can offer. Bob [supertooth]