• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

large cents - 1834, 1839, etc varieties

8 posts in this topic

can someone point me towards some info on getting these straight? besides the redbook.. a nice website somewhere?

all the large this, small that, medium yadda yadda stars and beaded cords with different head styles has my head in knots..

there's a port in the dansco album for a '34 sm8, sm stars, md letters... doesn't seem to exist? is that a typo?

The redbook has pics of many of these varieties. Heritage is another source of good pics. However, they are bested by the works of Wright and Noyes on the middle dates (1816-1839) which describe them all in detail.

p.s. and no, that's not a typo. But understand there's a bit of difference of opinion on how to describe the reverse letter size -- some call the two types of reverse lettering "small" and "large" (Noyes, Wright, Redbook) and others call it "medium" and "large" (Dansco). Here's how I interpreted the 1834 varieties:

"1834 Lg. 8, Lg. Stars, Lg. Letters" = N-6 and N-7

"1834 Sm. 8, Sm. Stars, Med. Letters" = N-1 and N-2

"1834 Lg. 8, Sm. Stars, Med. Letters" = N-3 and N-4

"1834 Sm. 8, Lg. Stars, Med. Letters" = N-5

One other place you might look for pictures is on coinfacts.com I know they have pictures of most all of the early date varieties, and a fair number of the middle dates but I haven't checked out the two years in question.

It is a large letters, N-1 middle to late die state. All of the 1830's are large letters except N-6. The key is to look at the gaps between the TAT. On the large letters they are close together at their bases. On the N-6 you could just about fit the upright of the T in between the serifs of the adjacent letters.