• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oddball medallion - what is it?

4 posts in this topic

Since I don't know how much reader crossover there is, I also posted this in world/ancient coins.

Even though this is not a coin or even a medal in the usual sense of the term, I'm posting this here just to see if anyone might recognize it or venture an educated guess.

I inherited this oddity but know nothing about it. The only discernable device is the 5-point star. The reverse is blank, the edge is plain. It's copper, diameter is 24.5 mm, thickness 1 mm, weight 5 grams (all are approximate, +/-).

It may be nothing more than a cheap, rudimentary piece of jewelry, or it might have some recognizable significance. Any and all contributions are welcome.

(shrug)

43622-DSC_0321D.jpg.a2f0bc4732fdf78e6ab2ab9d120ad135.jpg

The star looks very similar to one used on some Moroccan coinage. There are a few examples shown in the Krause/Mishler book, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1901 to Present. The only other detail (other than the star) on the coin is in the central pentagon formed by the points of the star. Given the condition of your specimen, it is possible that this has worn away. Good luck!

Chris

I know that the Greeks had coins with a pentacle/pentagram on them, but since you said the other side is blank leads me to believe that it is just a well used pendent. 2c

I thought that I’d add this, a reverse picture of a bronze coin, Pitane, Mysia, 300-400 BCE. The letters around the pentagram spell PITAN, which translates to serpent. Again you can see that the pentagram is not perfect, like the one you have and another difference is the composition, so I'm still leaning toward a pendent. Again my 2c

43747-god-coin7.jpg.8988d845bdfd20d79bb824cfa61b43b1.jpg