• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading error coins

2 posts in this topic

Should there be a seperate grading system for error coins?????

Here is one example that I can think of right away. It should be impossible to get a ms70 or a pf 70 from a cud error on a coin with the current system. With the error grading system it would not be impossible to get such a grade.

Pat McNulty

KINGKOIN KING OF LOINS

Dear Pat,

I do not think that there is a need for a separate system to grade mint errors nor do I see any advantage for creating one.

Mint errors are manufactured and shipped under the same conditions as normal coins. They are still susceptible to contact marks and wear. So, under the current (Sheldon based) grading system it would be possible to get a MS70 or PF70 cud coin if it meets the criteria. However, the possibility that a major die break coin (cud) would achieve a grade of 70 is very remote, if not impossible. This is because the raised area, cud, can actually be higher than the highest point of the design (because the broken area can be deeper). This means that the coin is more susceptible to rub or wear on this point.

It is possible for other types of errors, (like off center struck coins), to leave the mint in virtually they same manner as it was produced resulting in a high grade. NGC has not graded a MS70 or PF70 mint error, yet, but has graded MS69 coins.

David J. Camire

NGC, Mint error consultant