• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin industry and everything else in general!

5 posts in this topic

I know that this is more than five words so I made a new thread but I will keep it short. I’ve learned in my life that everything being it sports, religion, politics, life, stamps, government, etc. has always had and has a hidden dark side so to say and the coin industry isn’t any different. The ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR, (greed and power) and the men who have it are always lurking in the back ground controlling everything and I mean everything. I try my best to not get involved in any of the back ground politics in what ever it is I do, but these, power hungry SOB’s prey on the common man leading them around by the nose and most do not even realize it or choose not to see it and that just upsets me. I guess it’s just everyday life, what can you do?

Now I’m not going to tell anyone what to do but as for me, I will not stop collecting because of it, I will not be influenced by anyone on what to collect, (rare, not rare, slabbed or raw, modern or not) and I will not let anyone take the fun out of this for me. I like a lot of different U.S. coins, old and new, and I will continue to collect what I like, and I hope that everyone else will do the same. Please do not be led into what to buy, buy what you like, because and I know this has been said before but worth repeating, life is to short and you can’t take them with you any way! Enough said fire away!

I know that this is more than five words so I made a new thread but I will keep it short. I’ve learned in my life that everything being it sports, religion, politics, life, stamps, government, etc. has always had and has a hidden dark side so to say and the coin industry isn’t any different. The ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR, (greed and power) and the men who have it are always lurking in the back ground controlling everything and I mean everything. I try my best to not get involved in any of the back ground politics in what ever it is I do, but these, power hungry SOB’s prey on the common man leading them around by the nose and most do not even realize it or choose not to see it and that just upsets me. I guess it’s just everyday life, what can you do?

Now I’m not going to tell anyone what to do but as for me, I will not stop collecting because of it, I will not be influenced by anyone on what to collect, (rare, not rare, slabbed or raw, modern or not) and I will not let anyone take the fun out of this for me. I like a lot of different U.S. coins, old and new, and I will continue to collect what I like, and I hope that everyone else will do the same. Please do not be led into what to buy, buy what you like, because and I know this has been said before but worth repeating, life is to short and you can’t take them with you any way! Enough said fire away!

I agree with everything you wrote except for:
...the men who have it are always lurking in the back ground controlling everything and I mean everything
I think that is over stating things considerably

life is to short and you can’t take them with you any way!
Actually, you can take them with you, to a point, anyway. ;)

I am a strong proponent of "buy what you like", but I also believe one should know (and know about) what he's buying.

I agree with everything you wrote except for:
...the men who have it are always lurking in the back ground controlling everything and I mean everything
I think that is over stating things considerably

life is to short and you can’t take them with you any way!
Actually, you can take them with you, to a point, anyway. ;)

I am a strong proponent of "buy what you like", but I also believe one should know (and know about) what he's buying.

First one: I'm not talking about coins only, really look at the world and I mean you really have to look, who runs anything ok 90% of anything, men with money and power! This subject could turn into a lond discussion! So I don't think that I'm over stating, but again just what I think! hm

Second one: OK, this one I can agree with to a point!! lol

And the last one I agree with you 100% (thumbs u

I agree with what you have to say about collecting what you like, so long as it's legal to collect it. Back when I was in my 20s and 30s I got hooked on early U.S. coins. Given my resources at the time I could only afford to buy maybe two coins a years. I kept up with the cheap stuff like the current Proof sets and the like, but my big purchases were pretty limited. A few dealers told me I was nuts because "That early stuff never goes up in price. You should be buying the stuff with a future!"

Early coins did remain the quiet part of the market for a long time, but five years or so they really hit their stride. Today several of the early coins I have would be beyond my financial reach. But now I have them because I bought them when the prices were much lower.

Now I am collecting some of the stuff that those dealers from way back when have in mind. Those items include Liberty Seated Proof coins. Sure I could have bought them for less way back when, and I'm paying more for them now as a result. Still I can still affford to buy them which is the key. In a few years I'll have the virtually complete type set that I set my sights upon back in the 1970s. And by doing it my way I reached my goal.