• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this a mistake to sell??? (SEALED 1st Strike 20th ASE - all 3 coins qualify)

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have a few boxes of very rare Sealed 20th Anniversary Silver sets, where all three coins qualify for 1st strike. I really need the money right now, so I decided to sell 2 and keep 2 for myself (to submit to PCGS when I have $750 in fees), but seeing how low the bids are so far I'm wondering if I made a mistake. :frustrated:

Since this is not something that has been up on Ebay for many months, is there any way of knowing what a reasonable market value would be? What should I expect to get?

Feel free to take a look at this auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280147193097

I'll appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this. Thanks! :sick:

Hello everyone, I have a few boxes of very rare Sealed 20th Anniversary Silver sets, where all three coins qualify for 1st strike. I really need the money right now, so I decided to sell 2 and keep 2 for myself (to submit to PCGS when I have $750 in fees), but seeing how low the bids are so far I'm wondering if I made a mistake. :frustrated:

Since this is not something that has been up on Ebay for many months, is there any way of knowing what a reasonable market value would be? What should I expect to get?

Feel free to take a look at this auction at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280147193097

I'll appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this. Thanks! :sick:

Welcome to the boards

I want to be polite about this, however I believe anytime someone spends X amount of dollars on speculation and hasn’t done there home work has made a mistake. That doesn’t mean you have to loose a lot of your investment.

Please allow me to make several suggestions.

1.) Your ebay auction is as confusing as your question….Simplify it

2.) Contact a dealer or professional seller and see what offers you can get. I’ll recommend 2

.......... SPAM>>>http://www.moderncoinmart.com/cart1/home.php<<

..........A forum member may be able to help...username is gmarguli

Welcome to the boards :) If you bought these directly from the mint you are already making a 500% profit so what is the problem? I agree with Stan that you have way too much information written in a way that makes me quit reading because of "hype" The coins should sell themselves. How many watchers do you have? I suspect there will be a sniper or two there as well. You missed the initial hype and excitement of selling these so I think you are doing well with the $2576 bids you have now. Best of luck

Hello, thanks for your replies. I understand that since you are very experienced with coins, hype just annoys you. However I figured that many newer collectors would not yet be aware that PCGS is giving out MS70s, for example. And I think that's a huge part of the value of these sets (the fact that they are first strike and all 3 coins qualify, not just the rev. and the proof). Maybe I'm wrong. I do agree though that I probably put too much hype and just too much text overall. I'll make sure that the next auction I list will have a lot less hype in it. Thanks for that advice. -Ariel

P.S. I have 52 people watching the auction right now (that's a lot, isn't it?)

P.S.S. Unfortunately I didn't buy these from the mint. I actually bought them when prices were much higher... :-(

First of all, you apparently haven't been keeping up-to-date on the news regarding the lawsuit against using the designation, "First Strike". What makes you think that any TPGS will stick their neck out by using this designation? Besides, it's just a bunch of cr@ppy advertising hype to lure uninformed people into parting with their money anyway.

The other thing in your auction description that is an automatic turn-off for me is the inference that these unseen coins will grade "70". You have no way of knowing what they will grade, and the fact that PCGS is now giving out 70's has absolutely no bearing. This kind of advertising is no better than somebody who lists an MS63 coin for sale and cites "TRENDS @ $15,000 IN MS67". What the hell has it got to do with anything?!!

Just my 2c worth.

Chris

I'd have sold one box this week and the other box next week, even using the same ad.

Having a dutch auction (especially with only two identical items involved) keeps bids from potentially running up as easy as they can with a single item.

I'd also offer less boiler plate language, but that is kind of a separate issue.

The fact that PCGS is giving out 70s does have something to do with the value of this set because the winner is buying a chance at getting that. I am clear about the fact that it's only a 15% or so chance, and I never said that it'll grade 70 for sure! Non 1st Strike 20th Anniv. MS70s in PCGS holders are going for over $3000, so who knows what a First Strike one would be worth, and I think that adds to the value of this purchase. It's a good chance to get a 70 and if that happens the profit will be huge. I don't see how this is just like your MS67 example and why it has nothing to do with the auction. As for there being too much "hype," I already agreed and stated so earlier. -Ariel

I collect Silver Eagles and I did buy the Anniversary set from the Mint for about $109.00 .Unfortunately I was not a member of NGC and opened and discarded the Mailing part.I can send in the reverse proof as the only way you can get this coin is through the Anniversary set.Numismedia on here has a price of $480 for it in PF69 and $1130.00 inPF70.This is probably as good as any price.

Three Reverse proofs in PF69 would then be $1440.00 and more in later years.With all the controversy on the First Strike I would assess little value.There are people who will probably pay more for it just because of the designation.As a guide line I would see 10% more so for the 3 Reverse proofs you are up to about $1600.00. Figure out the value of the remaining 6 coins in the 3 sets at PF69 to arrive at your cost.If it grades 70 for any one of them then it is a plus.

I think it also depends on whether you want to re sell them or need it for a Registry. I have a 1986 Silver Eagle in MS70.Numismedia puts it at $810.00 I have seen it advertised for several thousand.

If I wanted to purchase this coin for a Registry I might bid up to say $600.00 for it.If I really needed it then possibly more but not out of sight.If I wanted to purchase it for re selling it say on Ebay then I have to figure my costs and add them to my Purchase costs and then try to determine what I could get for it.If I purchased it for $800.00 and nobody wanted to pay that Price then it does me no good.If I planned to put it in a Registry and not sell it for the immediate future then this requires a different decision.

My understanding is that there were only 250,000 made of the 2006W and not that many in MS70 or PF70 in NGC. There are already almost 13,000 MS70 for the 2007W and that is just the most recent Population report for NGC.The are only 610 in the 1986 MS70.

The won't make any more 1986 or 2006 but they are still making the 2007W.