• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post some coins that are over-dipped

12 posts in this topic

I'd like to see some coins that are over-dipped. I hear the term a lot and have my own mental image of what that looks like, but I'd like to (a) see your idea of what an over-dipped coin looks like and (b) see how well that can be communicated via photographs.

Anyone got any?

arnold-batliner.jpg Meet Arnold Batliner, who for 31 years ran the money laundering operation of the Westin St. Francis.

Since 1938, The Westin St. Francis has operated the world’s only silver coin cleaning operation as a favor to its guests. This custom began when the hotel’s manager insisted that the silver coins – the currency of the day – be cleaned to keep the ladies’ white gloves from getting dirty. Periodically, the change is collected, washed and polished in a silver-burnishing machine, rinsed off and dried under hot lights, then carried back to the front desk. For more than 31 years, Arnold Batliner laundered The St. Francis money – he cleaned an estimated $17 million in change. Today, every taxi driver and cashier in San Francisco knows that if they get mint-clean money, it’s probably from The St. Francis.

noskin.jpg

The first coin was quickly dipped but improperly rinsed. The second coin is completely original despite being blast white. And the last coin was overdipped and is now dull and lifeless.

NCS refused to conserve the first coin by the way, so I'll be dipping it again myself. The last coin was returned to Heritage where I bought it, as nothing can be done for it now. The middle coin will remain in my collection as-is.

My definition of “over dipped” is a silver coin that has been dipped too many times or a silver coin that was left in the mild acid solution for too long. Either way the result is a coin with washed out luster. Usually the piece is pasty white with all or virtually all of the mint luster gone.

1849HD86O.jpg1849HD86R.jpg

The coin in my collection that immediately came to mind is this 1849 half dime. The reason that I own it is that at one time it was thought to be a double over date (1849 over 8 over 6). Now people are not so sure.

The coin has re-toned, but you can see that despite the sharpness, the surfaces have no luster. This coin had the look of being “cooked” when I bought it. It was pasty white. Now it looks like this after being stored in an envelope with a cloth liner for 15 years.

This 1945 D WLH has been dippped. Unfortunately I knew much less about dipping at that time and it was BBd. The information and comments, received from others on here after a posting of it was a good learning experience.

Rey

1945WLHObv.jpg

1945DWLHRev.jpg

Beside the obvious scratch on the obverse, this has all the signs of being over-dipped. Very little luster, if any at all. Off color and lifeless. Why anyone would do something like that to a coin like this, I'll never know. The scratch aside there appears to be little wear and would have been a good candidate for a fairly decent grade.

1879ccaudetO.jpg

1879ccaudetR.jpg

This 1945 D WLH has been dippped. Unfortunately I knew much less about dipping at that time and it was BBd. The information and comments, received from others on here after a posting of it was a good learning experience.

Other than being AU and not worth the grading fee, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that Walker.

Dipping is using a weak acid to remove a coin's patina. If it is done for too long, the acid will remove the metal's flow lines, which cause luster to be seen. The resulting coin will be dull and lifeless.