• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New images of an old (clashed) friend

13 posts in this topic

I took some more pictures of one of my latest 3CN acquisitions. This coin has some nice clashing. Notice the vertical lines in the "I" clashed below her hairline? Her outline is very strong on the reverse. The reverse strike is one of the most "hammered" strikes I've ever seen on a 3CN, including Proofs! Those leaves are virtually high relief.

18653CN-MS60-Obverse-2-1.jpg18653CN-MS60-Reverse-2-1.jpg

That's an excellent example! I hope you don't mind joining in with my favorite. This coin (1866 5c S1-3007) has a dramatic obverse clash that extends all the way to the periphery of the coin. In fact, all the letters of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and CENTS are visible. (The photos don't show the clash as clearly as it appears in person.) No clash marks appear on the reverse. Perhaps the reverse die sustained too much damage to continue in service. So, the following pictures show the obverse only. The first image is a normal photograph. The second image is a upside down, mirror image of the first that I created in Photoshop so you can more easily see the reverse design. For example, you'll see CENTS just where it would appear on the reverse.

I'm in the camp that views clashes as a die stage instead of as a variety; but, this coin also qualifies as a die variety with a RPD south. You'll see the underdigits principally in the loops of the 8 and 6s, with the flag of the 1 showing to the left of the digit. The third photo is a close-up of the date.

S1-3007obv.jpg

S1-3007obvflipped.jpg

S1-3007date.jpg

Check out Howard Spindel's website at this webpage for a nifty explanation of clashed dies.

Lou's is one of my favorite examples of clashing, and yours is right up there next to it. Both of you are very lucky to have such wonderful specimens in your collections.

Chris

Lou, that is a fantastic example of this variety showing much more detail of the clash than I've seen on any other example I've examined. Compare it against the photo in SNV.

You simply MUST send me photos for SNV. :-)

Howard

I took some more pictures of one of my latest 3CN acquisitions. This coin has some nice clashing. Notice the vertical lines in the "I" clashed below her hairline? Her outline is very strong on the reverse. The reverse strike is one of the most "hammered" strikes I've ever seen on a 3CN, including Proofs! Those leaves are virtually high relief.

18653CN-MS60-Obverse-2-1.jpg18653CN-MS60-Reverse-2-1.jpg

Thanks a bunch Prethen!

I'm working on my CN3 cent set and all because of you. (actually I always liked them you just rekindled my interest)

:banana:

Ray