• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just back from my B&M...what would you say???

14 posts in this topic

I just recently re-started a Morgan Dolar date set after selling off most of my collection this past April. I'm now trying to put together an AU50 to MS62-ish set. As I was looking through the boxes of Morgan dollars I noticed that the prices went up about $10 per coin for AU to low-MS coins... OK...I guess I can live with a price increase. But as I further inspect each piece I notice several with what looks like fingerprints! This leads leads me to more closely inspect each one. Now I notice what looks like dip residue and it's not on just a few... it's on alot of them. In fact, One of the pieces I sold back in April was an 1884-O with some fairly dark toning. While I'm not 100% certain about that particular piece, I think I saw it for sale and now about 70% of the toning has been dipped off and it really doesn't look all that appealing anymore.

So my question to the group is: would you say anything? This particular shop usually doesn't have what I normally collect... Large Cents...VF-AU IHCs... and US Type for my 7070. Morgan Dollars was about the only thing they routinely stock that held my interest...that and [when I have extra money] $5 gold pieces. Unfortunately, they're the only shop in town. I suppose I could just go in and look. Hopefully they'll get more pieces in and perhaps the odd piece for my type set but I'feel like I'm in a quandry...thoughts?

As I was driving back to work I was thinking about that... yes, it does bother me. It bothers me that they increased their prices on now dipped coins that I need to "be on the look-out for". I suppose I could lower my standard for this collection [VF-XF] and just pick from the bulk silver bin...at least I won't be paying much more than melt... and the coins will be pretty much as represented...

I don't think I would say anything. I can't think of many words that would come across well received.

He may have something next week that is right and you really wish to have. :)

Oftentimes actions speak louder than words. Your dealer knows you collect Morgans and he showed you some. You didnt buy. He is probably scratching his head wondering why you didnt buy, and perhaps is second guessing his actions.

I tell ya what. I posted this a long time ago, but my first visit to coin shop some time back, I was looking at a morgan and it looked like it had something on it. I asker the owner, did it look like some sort of film to him. He picks it up and goes towards the back, sits down at a desk and POW, dipped it!! I think it's common practice for some dealers to do this. I don't say anything and just watch for them now.

How far are you from Las Vegas? If you are close enough that you can make the trip once or twice a month, you should visit Frank's Coins in the Riviera. His brother Patrick runs the store and he is always willing to accept offers below his listed prices. As a matter of fact, if he likes you, he may make YOU offers that you will find hard to turn down.

Neither he nor his brother (Frank) believe in dipping coins, and you can often see a wide range of grades with original skin or nicely toned. Another thing I admire about them is that they do not have any desire to use the internet to sell their coins. Being in Florida, that's unfortunate for me, otherwise, I would be checking their inventory on a daily basis.

Chris

Pat yourself on the back for knowing and understanding just what is going on now....walk out quietly, proud to know that your way ahead of the game at this point and time.

Perhaps you can go back at one point in time to confirm your suspions, just to make sure...it could all work out or it could continue as you described. In the later case then, I'd find another place to resume your collecting desires.

Not to ask a dumb question, but why would you even consider buying back stuff that you have sold unless it was killer stuff that you unloaded because you needed the money at a given point in time? There are a GAZILLION coins out there. Buy something new that floats your boat.

As to dipping, there are a lot of coins out there that have been dipped. Either you like the looks of a coin or you don't... a dipping to a coin should be but one part of what you think about when you look at a coin. As to mentioning it... why? You would just open yourself up for grief. Just keep it as a datum in the back of your mind when you are looking at future purchases from that shop. If you REALLY feel the need to talk about dipping then you might mention it in some sort of a non-threatening manner, such as after you've bought some undipped coin you might mention to the dealer that you prefer the looks of a non-dipped coin.

Thanks for the replies... I haven't said anything and I think you're all right...it wouldn't be productive to do so. I think for now, I'll just sit tight. There were a couple of pieces that I'll go back for and as I build this collection perhaps they'll take note of the "look" I'm trying to acheive.

I'm about 4 hours from Vegas...the next time I'm there I'll definitely check it out...L

Not to ask a dumb question, but why would you even consider buying back stuff that you have sold unless it was killer stuff that you unloaded because you needed the money at a given point in time? There are a GAZILLION coins out there. Buy something new that floats your boat.

...yep...April...to be more specific...April 15th...tax bill!!