• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saturday at the Dealer- Washington Set almost complete.

4 posts in this topic

Something strange happened on the way to the dealer. I was set only to put $20-$50 down on a 1932-S he set aside for me a month and a half ago. I also figured I would pick up a mint and proof set for my other collections.

I got to the dealer and the first thing that caught my eye was a 1956 "Unc" set. For some reason it caught my eye, perhaps it was the $12 price tag. I did notice some sludge/PVC on it... but for $12... I'll take my chance.

Fast forward to today, it appears it was just some sort of sludge as an overnight stay in acetone and the coins are spotless.

Back to the dealer, my dealer actually had a heart attack and is recovering now, the guy who was working that day blew out his leg and he was hobbling around a bit. It was a bit of a shock because these guys are super great guys. I liken "Mike" to the Mark "CoinGuy". If I had to put a face on "CoinGuy", it would be "Mike's" face.

Back to the 1932-S, I told my dealer when he showed me, I told him I would definately buy it but I needed a few weeks, the next time I called he was on vacation... to make a long story short, I told the guy I was going to pay it in full and he went into the "box" to get my coin, but the cupboard was bare... it was in the display case!!! I could hardly be angry as I kept putting it off so it was understandable that they would have moved it into the display case, the price tag on it was a bit excessive and I let the guy know what Mike had offered it to me for and we made a deal. I'm not sure how long it was in the case but I was pretty shocked that no one noticed it and picked it up, perhaps it was the price tag but I consider myself lucky that I got a second chance at the coin.

I only need the 1932-D and the 1975-S Silver to finish the collection. (32-98) but I'm going to keep it going beyond that as soon as I get more pages or another book.

With the Mint and Proof sets I picked up, I had a great Saturday going over everything I purchased. Now that my collections are near completion, I look forward to going to the shows, dealers and elsewhere to find update candidates.

-Dave

I only need the 1932-D and the 1975-S Silver to finish the collection. (32-98) but I'm going to keep it going beyond that as soon as I get more pages or another book.

When you find that 1975-S let me know as that will certainly be a rare coin! wink.gif For those of you not familiar with the Washington series, there were no quarters dated 1975, they were all dated 1776-1976 for both 1975 and 1976.

Good work on the set, it take a lot of patience to put together. smile.gif

If you really want to get technical smile.gif the '76's were minted in '75... I can't believe I made that mistake foreheadslap.gif

The 1956-D Washington which is about MS64 replaced an XF Washington.

The 1956-D Jefferson (MS) also replaced a 1956-D in F/XF.

-Dave