• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Received a broken slab in the mail

18 posts in this topic

Has this ever happened to anyone? I bought this coin for my father’s birthday and this is what it looked like when I opened it. It was in an envelope in a safety mailer. I’ve contacted the seller to ask what their policy is on broken slabs. I included the below images in that email. If I don’t hear back from them by noon tomorrow I’ll call them. Just wondering if this is something that occasionally happens?

Thanks for any insight!

Buffalo1.jpg

Buffalo.jpg

This happened to me once, too, with a proof Mercury dime that arrived in a completely split PCGS holder. It, too, was placed within a Safe-T-Mailer that was put into an envelope. What some folks do not realize is that this configuration might still be thin enough to go through automated mail sorters and that is likely where the damage occured.

I should have noted that the seller’s pictures included one of the entire intact slab. I think it happened in transit.

Thanks for the replies (thumbs u

I once received a package from California Fed Ex overnight out of 20 slabs 2 were broken and no damage to the box they were shipped in.

The seller/dealer promptly replaced them.

Would it be possible that high altitude from shipping by air would do this?

Edited to add: They were all PCGS slabs

as of the last two years or so happens all of the time

i learned the hard way and now NEVER PUT SLABS IN CARDBOARD MAILERS

i can see this cardboard holder inside an envelope went through an automated letter reading machine

strong thick cardboard boxed only when sending usps

hm Old green PCGS slab... hm

I am 2-1 on cracking those and sending the coins back in for regrading. I am 1-0 with NGC and 1-1 when sending them to PCGS. In both wins, the coin was :bump: 'ed up to the next grade. The one "loss" was the same grade. I would give it a try! :devil:

Scott :hi:

as of the last two years or so happens all of the time

i learned the hard way and now NEVER PUT SLABS IN CARDBOARD MAILERS

I received an 1806 dime from Mike with the slab cracked almost completely in half. Even though it was sent via registered mail, the impression of the slab was embossed on the outside of the envelope which tells me that something very heavy was stacked upon it. This is unusual since registered mail normally isn't all that heavy.

victor never in 35+ years of mailing registered mail have i ever seen anything like you experienced, it is just plain nuts

now only heavy strong secure cardboard boxes for me if i ever send anything registered mail ever again

So I called the seller today and they said to send it back to them and they would have it re-holdered for me. I agreed because I do like the coin and perhaps I will just make it my father’s Christmas present. I’m wondering though, is this coin/slab a candidate to be re-holdered? I mean someone could try to weasel that coin out of there and replace it. I thought that if the coin touched the outside air it couldn’t be re-holdered.

It never occured to me crack-out literally means cracking the slab, interesting...

Yeah many of us, myself included, have cracked slabs for various reasons. My reasons have always been that I liked the coin but wanted to put it in my dansco album…

Could this be a scam? Vendor cracks the original coin out and replaces it with a nice 64/65 coin. Person gets the package, sees OGH and says "maybe I’ll take my chances, after all it's already cracked?" By the time you get it back it's too late to do much about it.

Would it be worth it?

Could this be a scam? Vendor cracks the original coin out and replaces it with a nice 64/65 coin. Person gets the package, sees OGH and says "maybe I’ll take my chances, after all it's already cracked?" By the time you get it back it's too late to do much about it.

Would it be worth it?

I don’t think so, at least not in this instance. I have bought 6 or 7 coins from this seller and they were all very nice. They have tens of thousands of sales and 99.9% positive feedback.

Things like this happen maybe not often but i've seen few myself. This is one reason the Post office ask that we use the box instead of the envelope.

John

I had this problem with shipments to California which were in a safety mailer inside an envelope. They put these thru some kinda machine. It was like someone took the pcgs slab and broke it in half. Luckily the coin was not damaged - I refunded the guys money (which I would have done undamaged coin or not). From then on I used boxes or a padded mailer and wrote "fragile." Then nosy USPS employees would ask whats inside.....

You do something successfully for 20 yr and then some nut comes along with a new idea.

I would suggest you send it back to the seller for a refund.