• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870 PR62 Liberty Seated Quarter

25 posts in this topic

:cloud9: i'll take it! lol wish i had the money to! and stinky, lets just say theres alot of zeros

I got this one for 690. Numismedia has it listed for 620. I will have to investigate prices at the next level. They only minted 1000 proofs.There are 238 graded, of course this could be bias somewhat. PCGS has graded 135 and NGC has graded 103. PCGS has 73 with a higher grade and NGC has 89.

I may submit this to NGC as a crossover to see if I get a bump in grade.

:cloud9: i'll take it! lol wish i had the money to! and stinky, lets just say theres alot of zeros

I got this one for 690. Numismedia has it listed for 620. I will have to investigate prices at the next level. They only minted 1000 proofs.There are 238 graded, of course this could be bias somewhat. PCGS has graded 135 and NGC has graded 103. PCGS has 73 with a higher grade and NGC has 89.

I may submit this to NGC as a crossover to see if I get a bump in grade.

$690,000?

:o

I really don't know the answer to that. I started collecting them due to them being my birthyear - 100 years. I was born in 1970 - nothing exiting with coins so I went back 100 years.

No, just $690.00

Nice deal! I thought it would cost more. Were these meant for collectors only? Or were these made for the general population? (worship)

Proofs were produced for sale to collectors, while business strikes were intended for commerce/spending.

a decent coin and a sexy year................................

strong cameoed on the obverse

i would leave it as it is in this holder........................

the above comments based on the photo only sight seen might be different, the same or better..............

Great minds think alike! I love these early Proofs and 1870 is a great year. I hope you don't mind if I intrude on your thread to add pix of mine (NGC 64CAM, but it looks to be a easy shot 65CAM).

187025-cent-NGCPF64CAMEO-Obverse3.jpg187025-cent-NGCPF64CAMEO-Reverse2.jpg

[These shots are from Pinnacle of the same coin.]

187025-centNGCPF64Cameo-Pinnacle-Ob.jpg187025-centNGCPF64Cameo-Pinnacle-Re.jpg

above average eye appel choice to really choice to gem proof pre 1878 proof coins are highly collectible with a great opportunity and value

a complete 1870 proof set

cent through silver dollar well matched would be quite a prize indeed and one of the last frontiers of numismatics

quite a showpiece too :cloud9:

and really scarce and rare as a set if well matched ...........................

This is a great collector's coin that will do nothing but appreciate in value. It has a sweet cameo as well. The reverse is very nice but the hairlines on the obverse will keep it to a 62 unless it eventually tones and hides them a bit. Then it may make 63. Very nice!

43085-1885SeatedLibertyQuarter.jpg.4aa5137e25f923a06a22332eef2a2b19.jpg

in fact all of the seated coins posted in this thread

are

super value

opportunity coins

historical

and

anywheres from great++ :cloud9: to killer eye appeal :cloud9:

Sweet coins all! I am partial to EZ_E(Victor's) coin. I know how those photos were taken ;)

You can see I'm still using your photo, Bruce. Awesome job!

The cameo proof Seated Liberty design is probably my favorite of all in all denominations!

Hey Dwaine and the rest of you that posted your SLQ’s, those is some mighty nice little proofs you got there, beautiful coins. :cloud9:

How can you not love these coins?? Even though their prices have jumped some in the last few years, they’re still very undervalued for as rare as they are, most mintages of pre-1915 proof issues are measured in hundreds especially silver proofs.

Actually I’m glad they’re not more popular with collectors, a little more interest could really drive up the prices. The total mintage for the 25 years that Seated Liberty Quarters with the motto were struck is 22,163 and not all of those in that total are still at least PF60 today. What happens to a modern mint issue that is under 25k in mintage?? hm

I think with these old proof coins that a PR62 graded coin like Dwaine’s is a very good value, usually it’s hairlines from previous cleaning that causes the down grade but does little in distracting from the beauty of the coin. As EZ says, they’ll hide in thicker toning too. One thing I do notice as I look for old proofs for my type set that’s been happening for years is how quickly PF64s, 63s, and even 62/61s (which there aren’t many graded) fly out of dealers inventories, high grades may hang around for a while, but the more affordable stuff gets gobbled up quickly.