• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Contrarian Coin Investment

11 posts in this topic

What coins do you think are dogs for investing in today, that has a very good chance at increasing in the future. Lincoln cents seems to be picking up with the 100 anv coming soon, so I think to stear away from them since the money is flowing into them now. I would think Mercury Dimes seems like a good choice now. If there are any web sites that suggest contrarian investment choices, let me know please.

Unfortunately my clairvoyance is in the shop but I wonder if early Jefferson nickels will become more popular soon.

Considering that coin prices have been on a general up trend for at least a decade, I'm not sure that now is such a good time to buy coins with an eye to their further appreciation.

I think you'd be best served by gaining a lot of knowledge about a particular series, so that you can tell us what the good buys are.

coins are NOT an investment

they are a collectible.................

and definately a speculation---just ask most all of the people on the pcgs boards especially so those with rarified ms/pr 69-70 plastic:makepoint:

Correct, and if you are looking for coins to try to make money by speculating, there is more "value" in world coins than US coins. There are more opportunities in world coins because fewer people are paying attention to them though the popularity is lower or much lower, depending upon the issue.

I agree with others who write that this is simply impossible to reproducibly pick accurately. However, please keep in mind throughout the last six years or so that we have been in the midst of perhaps the deepest and most complete numismatic bull market that we have ever seen. Therefore, if there are series that have routinely acted as dogs then there may be little reason to believe they will awake.

I agree with others who write that this is simply impossible to reproducibly pick accurately. However, please keep in mind throughout the last six years or so that we have been in the midst of perhaps the deepest and most complete numismatic bull market that we have ever seen. Therefore, if there are series that have routinely acted as dogs then there may be little reason to believe they will awake.

A shrewd observation that's tough to argue with. It will be quite interesting to see which series hold their own once this bull market cools off.

I wouldn't suggest anyone invest in coins either but it seems nearly unanimous that ms/pr 69-70 plastic is a loser, so this might be the real contrarian investment. ;)

Coins are not stocks, bonds or the like. Contrarian investment strategies are best left to real investments.

Well-planned promotions aside, the losers of today will be the losers of tomorrow, and I would be very wary of someone investing in the three-cent nickels or late-date half dimes for this very reason.

If future investment potential were my goal, I would not be investing in coins at all right now. Just like the real estate market in 2006, given the extended bull market in coins over the past few years, one has to question just how long it will continue to rise. To wit, if profit were my goal, I would be buying on the dip, when it happens, and be long on cash/generic gold/bullion in the meantime.

All IMHO...Mike