• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vermonts, vermontis, vermontensium landscape? which do you want??

12 posts in this topic

you have your choice of one of the three to acquire

which one and only one do you choose? flowerred.gif and why????? flowerred.gif

a) 1786 vermontensium landscape rr-7 120 grains early die state well struck pleasing eye appeal a real xf

b) 1785 vermontis landscape rr-4 underweight at 96 grains and pleasing eye appeal average strike nothing special and a solid vf

c) 1785 vermonts landscape rr-2 midrange weight of 130 grains pleasing eye appeal a really nicely struck choice xf/au coin very very early die state

which one of the three would you choose? and why??

thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gif

michael

I own a Vermontensium as a "type" coin. The copper is smooth and brown, but the piece was struck off center and the date is barely readable. For that reason I bought it cheap more than a decade ago. It's now in an NGC EF-40 holder. I had it slabbed recently.

Vermont landscape coppers are tough as nails in attractive condition. Therefore, since I'm not a variety collector, I'd go for the best looking piece regardless of the spelling of the word "Vermont." Sorry I can't be more specific, but when you are general collector like I am, one can't afford to collect everything by variety. One nice piece is enough.

We are writing about are some of the Vermont copper coins that minted 1785 and 1786. Many of these coins had heads on one side and a seated figure on the other, but some pieces, called the landscape coppers, had a unique design. The obverse featured a rising sun coming up over a Vermont mountain with a plow in the foreground. The revrese had an all seeing eye with 14 rays coming out from it with a star at the end of each ray and the legend "Quarta Decima Stella" (the fourteenth star) surrounding that. This design, which was borrowed from the Nova Constellatio coppers, was a political statement. It called for Vermont to become the 14th state.

Vermont was NOT one of the 13 original colonies. Early in its history New York claimed it as a part of that state/colony. Many Vermont residents, included Ethan Alan and his less famous but more successful brother Ira (who appears on the Vermont commemorative half dollar), wanted Vermont to be independent of New York. If it had not been for the American Revolutionary War, the Alan brothers might have fought a war with New York instead.

After the U.S. got its independence, Vermont wanted to join the union, but politics with New York prevented that. Finally Vermont did become the 14th state in the mid 1790s.

I can't find a picture of my Vermont landscape coin. I'm going to have to get it out of my bank box and take one. In the mean time you can check out page 51 of the 2003 edition of the Red Book to see a picture of these coins.

The reason for the three spelling of Vermont on these coins was that no one was sure how to spell the word in Latin.

I love the Vermont landscape coppers and am familiar with their many problems. For me, the choice is easy; give me one with a smooth, original planchet, centered farily well, an even, decent strike, nice color, no major marks, no stains or spots and no rim damage. I don't care the grade or variety, I will pay strong money.

Hi Michael!

Here's a picture of my Vermont Landscape. I warned you that it would not win any beauty prizes. It's in an NGC EF-40 holder, but I think that it nets out to VF-25 or so given its mint caused problems.

260218-VermontLand.jpg.952b42237ebd561ac00509353d651e03.jpg

hi there bill

thanks great photo! fanTASTIC COIN

now for me with my extremely limited knowledge of vermont landscapes

based on the coins i have seen

the way they come

the monting process at the time within the parameters of vermont landscapes

this is one extremely nice coin!

in terms of eye appeal extremely great~!!!

let me know if you want to part with it as i know someone who will be happy to adopt it and make a good home for it and will pay the approprate adoption fee

michael

Sorry Michael.

I've got a "wall" between my collection and my inventory. Right now that Vermont is on the wrong side of the "wall" for selling it. And since a really nice upgrade would cost me over $3,000 893whatthe.gif, I don't think that I will be improving on that coin any time soon.