• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins from mint sets with film on them

6 posts in this topic

I have been opening some of my 1970 mint sets and I noticing a slight layer of film or haze on them. Does anyone know what will cause this? I don't have pictures as this time but maybe somebody else has expierenced this and can share a picture.

Thanks

The mint set plastic is actually composed of four layers with the interior two against the coin being very thin and pliable.

The packaging wasn't changed until 1985. These early sets are often damaged by corrosion and all of some coins ('68 1c) are affected.

Mints sets are Brown Envelopes - If they are Proof Sets then the above applies

I have had around 20 Mints sets without the describe contamination you described.

If you are talking Proof sets AGAIN the Above does not apply

:)

Yes, I am referring to the mint sets and not the proof sets. I have opened about 8 1970 mint sets and it appears that some of the quarters have a white haze on them and same with the Denver half.

I have actually sent in some mint sets still in the plastic and NGC rejected due to improper cleaning or something like that.

Yes, I am referring to the mint sets and not the proof sets. I have opened about 8 1970 mint sets and it appears that some of the quarters have a white haze on them and same with the Denver half.

I have actually sent in some mint sets still in the plastic and NGC rejected due to improper cleaning or something like that.

They really should have been removed from the mint set plastic and stabilized with acetone years ago. Most of these can still be salvaged but many are beyond redemption.

Send them in for conservation/certification via NCS.

The cost is very minimal , however , you need to decide if the total cost is going to be worth it to yourself .

NCS will conserve them by removing the film (if possible) and then jump them in line over to NGC and then they will be returned graded and encapsulated....as long as the surface has not been damaged from the 'film' ...in which case the damaged coins will be encapsulated within an NCS holder ....unless you specify on the order blank to not encapsulate or which holder to not use.

As far as cleaning , if you know how to use acetone or a safe dip solution , conserve them yourself and submit through NGC . If you are not familiar with proper conservation techniques , then it is highly suggested that you do not attempt this.

The plastic wrapper that the mint used to seal the coins from mint sets in , well , they have been a gut shot as to when and if they will affect the coins surfaces . Some sets have no identifiable effects and then sometimes only one or a few coins will show any residue/film/damage .