• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Camera for coin photography

13 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I'm finally in the market for a camera to photo coins with as my Sony just isn't cutting it. I cannot afford over $400, so the top cameras are far away from my ability to buy. I need some recommendations from you guys about a truly good camera just for this purpose.

Thanks.

Unless you can find a deal on a used DSLR and macro lens, you're going to be limited to models with built-in lenses. There are many brands that work, but I would ensure that the one I was considering had the following features (in order of importance):

1) macro mode

2) tripod attachment

3) manual focus (in macro mode)

4) custom white balance

5) timer or remote shutter release

6) RAW files

I'm sure someone will come along and recommend thier prefered brands. Canon, Nikon, Fuji and others all make cameras which will do quite well.

All IMHO...Mike

I'll agree with Mike and add that remote shoot software is really a time saver.

It's nice to see each image as it's taken.

SLR is the way to go but the cost is crazy. :)

I was wondering about digital imaging my coins. Is it ok to scan the coin with a flatbed scanner? I'm only interested in imaging my certified coins. Thank you

Scanners for the most part do a very good job at imaging the details of a coin, but do a terrible job of showing the luster. A good photograph looks far better than even the best scan in this regard. A scanner will work in a pinch, particularly if fast & easy are your goals...>Mike

Thanks Mike. I am looking mostly to catalogue my collection and to get the images on the registry. I have an apt. in NYC and don't really have room to set up a place or have the lighting for taking pictures.

I know that no question is stupid, but this might be. :) Will the immense light from the scanner affect the coin in any way?

Will the immense light from the scanner affect the coin in any way?

No, it shouldn't. I wouldn't leave it there for a long time as it could become warm, but there should be no problem with just a quick scan.

Mike

Would this camera on the following web page fit the bill-Olympus E-500(a friend offered it to me awfully reasonable) Thanks for your time

Olympus E-500 DSLR

That camera would likely do an admirable job. Feature-wise, it seems to have everything necessary to take good pics.

However, just how good of a job it would do, I can't really say, as I've not used Olympus DSLRs, nor seen the results.

Realize, however, that with a SLR like the E-500 you would also need to buy a dedicated macro lens (if your friend didn't already have one), and a good one (new) would likely be more than your initial $400 estimate.

Good luck (and all IMHO)...Mike

The camera that will fit your bill is theFujifilm line of SLR- like cameras. Retail priced from $340 to $400. For few hundred more the NikonD40. Got these info. from the Consumer Reports July issue.

John :)

A member at my "other" forum is getting some truly excellent pics with his Canon S5 IS. The S5 gives my Digital Rebel (for which the lens alone exceeds your budget) a run for its' money, and is available for under $400. I'd hotlink the pics I'm talking about here, but they're 1300 pixels wide and I'd rather not break everybody's views. :)

PM me for a thread link, and you can decide about the quality of the pics yourself.