• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading error coins????

18 posts in this topic

Interesting question. As an FYI, this question is an excellent candidate for the Ask NGC forum... (It's moderated, so your post will not show up right away, if at all.)

Personally, I think there should NOT be a different grading system for error coins. Grading, after all, is a measure of post-manufacture impairments like wear and bruises. But, the graders do their best in trying to properly consider striking issues like flatness or poor luster.

If we have a different system for error coins, then we need to define what constitutes error. After all, couldn't one reasonably say that flat strike is an error?

EVP

Thanks EVP,

Here is one example that I can think of right away. It should be impossible to get a ms70 or a pf 70 from a cud error on a coin with the current system. With the error grading system it would not be impossible to get such a grade.

Pat McNulty

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Chances none of you haven't seen my rantings on the comic side on having one standards for comics. I belive that is the same for coins. We are lucky that we have one standard for grading coins(ANA). They have CGC, Overstreet and Wizards. They don't know if they are comming or going. If we set up a second stadard for grading error coins it will be a pandoras box. Who would establish it? Will other segments also want thier own standards(I can see token collectors wanting thier own or lage cent collectors or________ fill in the blank). Once we have a few diffrent standards being set up for diffrent segments how close will we be from some company or person saying for some reason that they don't like the ANA grading system and they set up thier own. Because the ANA system has been watered down by then by the error, tokens, large cents and______ collectors it would be probbaly be accepted. So wee would be where the comic collectors are now. Not knowing what grading system are being used. CHRIS

Well, removing Wizard from the mix for a moment, the Overstreet vs. CGC is about equivalent to our ANA vs. NGC vs. PCGS, cuz I don't think PCGS or NGC follow the ANA standards exactly. We also have PCI, ICG, ANACS, and at the bottom ACG. Each of these has their own standards that they follow. Actually in coins I think there are MORE conflicting standards than there are in comics.

Phil

But don't they follow the ANA standards as a basis?

There are many - myself included - who wish they would. But of course you would first have to get the ANA to quit changing their standards.

The best response I can give you is for you to go to the library - or find older editions of the ANA grading standards. All it takes is to compare the older versions to the new ones - the changes are evident.

They do not make changes every year - but they do make them. Right off the top of my head - last one I can recall was in the '90's.

There is no way an error coin can get a ms-70 or a pf-70 grade. Has anyone seen one? I think not. Perhaps, with the ERROR GRADING SYSTEM or EGS SYSTEM it would be possble to get such a coin. The coin would have to be flawless except for the flaw. It would grade ems-70 or epf70 ( Error mirror surface - 70 or Error proof - 70).

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Pat,

PCGS allows struck-through fragments on MS-70 coins as part of their grading standards. I used to own a MS-70 $5 Gold bullion that had two minor fragments struck into the obverse. It was PCGS holdered.

The MS grading standards are slightly different than those for PR coins. PR coins must be perfect in all ways to receive the coveted 70. MS allows for minor striking defects, but not for major. If the piece in question was a MS, I do not believe it would be eligible for a 70 because of the massive nature of the break.

That is the point. If all other aspects of the coin are perfect then the error grading system would be in effect and would reward the coin with a perfect grade. It sounds fair to me. Thanks for the responce.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS