• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stole a coin off ebay.

8 posts in this topic

The seller didn't know what he had. This is a Pontius Pilate prutah, and the obverse is retrograde. The "lituus" is facing left instead of right. It is considered an error. Only 3 other coins are known from this die. This is the rarest of the total of 4 becuase it has a normal reverse die used on it, showing the date "LIZ" where as the other known examples all were made from the same retrograde reverse die. He had it listed starting at $1.00 with no BIN. I e-mailed him and made him an offer that would of been down right stupid if it was just a normal old crusty prutah. He jumped on it, most likely thinking I was a nut.

42943-PPretro.jpg.e061ef523837a6f55929eedd66a2c5fc.jpg

The seller didn't know what he had. This is a Pontius Pilate prutah, and the obverse is retrograde. The "lituus" is facing left instead of right. It is considered an error. Only 3 other coins are known from this die. This is the rarest of the total of 4 becuase it has a normal reverse die used on it, showing the date "LIZ" where as the other known examples all were made from the same retrograde reverse die. He had it listed starting at $1.00 with no BIN. I e-mailed him and made him an offer that would of been down right stupid if it was just a normal old crusty prutah. He jumped on it, most likely thinking I was a nut.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY! (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) lol great find! Congrats!