• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Scans of 1842 Coin!!!

10 posts in this topic

From the image this looks to be the large date.

I'm thinking VF and possibly EF. Wild guess $200.

It's really hard to put a value on some things from any image.

It's a really cool coin. :)

It looks like an 1842 quarter minted in Philidelphia. I'm guessing this is a "Large Date" variety since the small date varieties were only struck in Proof. Your piece appears to have at least VF details but I really can't tell from your scans if its corroded or just darkly toned. Numismedia Fair Market Values (this is what you would expect to pay a dealer if you walked into his store) lists un-corroded pieces in VF at $290. However, they could be netted down significantly if corroded. Hope this helps

It has the feel of a VF. These images make the coin appear to have very dark toning whereas the previous scans made the coin appear to be lightly corroded. However, there also looks to be a depression in the field above the eagle's head and, if so, then this would likely be post-Mint damage. VF20 bid is $175 and EF40 bid is $245, if the coin is problem-free I would guesstimate that its value would be on the low end of that scale. If the coin is lightly corroded or the depression is post-Mint damage and not an imaging artifact then the coin would be worth less than quoted.

From the photos, the coin appears to me to be corroded. I am sorry to say that I would value the coin at $50 at best. Then again, I don't have a high threshold for silver (apparently) damaged to this extent. All MHO...Mike

Emily, Far better scans.

I would advise you to send this coin to NCS to see if they could enhance it or at least preserve it from further abuse. If so, the coin could be far more valuable, if not you've spent a small sum. Only 88,000 of these coins were struck so it would be nice to conserve this piece if possible.

I believe sending the coin to NCS is a misguided thought. Should the coin simply be deeply toned then NCS will either do nothing to it or will dip the coin. This will result in either receiving the coin in the same condition as sent if NCS does nothing, or receiving the coin as a bright white POS if NCS dips it. If the coin is corroded then NCS can do little, if anything, for the surfaces. In any of the above cases the owner would be responsible for two-way postage, consultation fees and conservation fees, if applicable, which is a heck of a lot of money to essentially throw away on a coin that is neither valuable nor rare. The coin is what it is and NCS does not perform magic.