• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with coin please?

19 posts in this topic

Welcome! The coin is looks to be damaged, but the details look good. VF 35 Details wihth Damage. I would value the coin at about $75.00 Now this is just going off the scans. In hand I could tell you more.

Welcome to the forum

this is my 2c

Nice coin, it is hard to tell from your pictures but if it is not enviromentaly dammaged its a very nice coin..

i dont know this serise very well so i will just list whats in my Krause

1842 Small date.88,000 minted Eliasberg, April 1997, Pf-63$66,000

1842 Large date G4 $85.00, Vg8, 120.00 F12, 170.00. VF20, 275.00 xf40, 350. 00 Au50, 800.00

so send it for conservation and post some pictures (thumbs u

I have a United States coin from 1842. I am trying to find out the aprox. value of this coin. Can anyone please help? Any thoughts or questions welcomed!

Here is a scan of the coin.

US_Quarter1842.jpg

Welcome to the forum Emily. :hi:

Without seeing the coin any better I’m suspicious of it being counterfeit.

A better image would certainly reveal enough details to confirm its originality. However, when I switch my screen to 200 % it appears the detail around the edges are not consistent.

Edited to add: The denticles in particular

Hi there i have tried to do some fiddling with the scan hope you do not mind ?

US_Quarter1842-1.jpg

Emily try scanning at 1200 (thumbs u

You have come to the right place for help on this.

And I would not recomend any better place on the web to get to the bottom of this. My apologies if I am wrong.

Welcome to the forum, Emily. As others have said, we need larger images before we can give you a more educated opinion of what you've got. Please continue to post and you'll find that this forum is an excellent place to learn more about this coin and any others that you might be interested in.

Hello Emily.

Welcome to the forum. You will find very valuable information here, but when we do not have quality photos from which to base our opinions you either won't get any opinions or any qualitative opinions. Your coin is an 1842 large date Liberty Seated Quarter Dollar and appears to be VF or above condition. As to its being counterfeit I cannot say. Better photos are needed in order to specifically access any damage that may affect the price. I would value this coin at around $200. This is just my opinion and I am certainly no where near the best person for this series of coinage. Good luck with the scans.

Hi, Emily! Welcome to the neighborhood. The rim and the denticles do look a little strange, but maybe that is just because of the scan. Do you have a digital camera? Can someone post a photo of a genuine Seated Liberty for comparison?

Chris

Hi, Emily! Welcome to the neighborhood. The rim and the denticles do look a little strange, but maybe that is just because of the scan. Do you have a digital camera? Can someone post a photo of a genuine Seated Liberty for comparison?

Chris

Here are some examples:

DSCN0572.jpg[/img] DSCN0563.jpg[/img] DSCN0571.jpg[/img] DSCN0570.jpg[/img]

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

John :)

Hi Emily and welcome.

Your local library will have a copy of the Red Book:"A Guide Book of United States Coins" If you find your coin, you'll find retail prices and a brief description of each grade of the coin. That will help you determine if it's a $100 coin or a $2000 coin. You can also just search eBay for 1842 quarters and get idea for the range your coin may get.

Don't be put off by questions of authenticity, that's always suspect. Environmental damage just means it might be worth less than a undamaged coin, not that the coin is worthless. The better your picture is, the better the answers to your questions will be.

I would take James' advice to heart, these are his specialty.