• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade and value?

13 posts in this topic

So I got to looking at my recent photos I took of my coin. The "Taco Bell Toner" I had orginally marked it as AU 55 Details. Was I off base with that guess? I would love some opinions on this coin and the current market value if I were to sell it. I am not selling it, but just for sake of discussion.

tbnh.jpg

tbnho.jpg

tbnhr.jpg

Enjoy and debate away!

That coin is a real bear to net grade because it has a big, obviously intentional scratch. If the mark were obviously random it would not hurt the piece that badly. But there it is - someone’s graffiti.

It’s like a very rare Sheldon variety of 1798 cent that cropped up more than a decade ago. Aside from a mark in the right field that is as big as the Marianas Trench for the size of the coin, the piece is 30 grading points better than the previously finest known example. The trouble for me would be I’d always be looking at THE SCRATCH.

If I were to grade this half dollar, I’d say AU-50, but the coin can’t be marketed that way. The trouble is there are those who love the toning and would be able to get past the scratch. There are others who would reject the coin out of hand. I’d be among them unless the price were really low. I’d much rather own a straight AU-50 with no disclaimers than this coin. But that’s me. (shrug)

Bruce,

Nice looking coin except for the mark that everyone has identified. Overall I like the coin but this is a good example of where I am trying to learn what is acceptable or not in relation to cleaned or damaged coins. I am curious to find sout what is considered fair on unfair for this and other "affected coins"

Rey

Hey Bruce, beautiful coin, shame about the scratches. I would net grade this coin AU50 and value it at $150-175. JMO. If it toned a little longer on the reverse to hide the scratches it would be a very valuable piece. Good luck.

Tough call Bruce...is there a difference in value in accidental damage vs. intentional damage when it comes to a net grade for placement of a dollar figure.

Had the added graffti been more elaborate, I think the value would have increased over a probelm coin, but since this is such a random pattern, it has that really distracting quality to it, that is, once it's flipped over.

net grade AU-50 even though it smells of Taco Sauce.

At least half of the going price of $300 or $150 but nothing more. IMO

i absolutely love the coin. weather it's AT or not. if i had the money i would buy it in a heart beat! :cloud9:

Is the coin AT? or NT? This could be agrued back and forth... I call it NT.

I would value the coin at $75, but I suspect an uninformed buyer would spend signficantly more.

Uniformed? Which way? Have you seen what sellers have for $75.00 on ebay? Some of those asking prices are soo funny. If they want $75.00 for there coins I want $750.00... lol.. I seen a coin in VG they wanted $75.00 for. They will not get it. But then again as P.T. Said.... A sucker.....

The obverse is a bit on the dark side for me.

Other than that I might be biased because of the in-progress photos you posted before. I think it might be interesting to make a slide show showing progression in toning with the date from start in the corner :)