• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Silver Eagles

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a few heavily toned silver eagles (3 1987, and one 1989)... they have vibrant colors, which, as I see it, are caused by the high concentration of pure silver.

When I submitted one of them about a year ago, it was bagged for artificial color. Now, though, I've seen many coins that look identical or even more vibrant (same or later dates) in NGC holders.

My question is, what is the current feeling on these coins? Will they be slabbed or bagged?

Thanks,

Jeremy Katz

Jeremy,

The issue of vibrantly toned Silver Eagles can be a confusing one. As you have seen, NGC has graded some of the pieces where we feel that the color is unquestionably of genuine means. Occasionally, we will come across an Eagle that has such unusual coloration that we feel that it is in the least "market unacceptable", and at the worst, outright artificial. Throughout this spectrum of uncertainty, one will receive the item back ungraded due to "Artificial Toning". Therefore, I can't say that all vibrant and wildly toned Eagles are receiving grades at this time. It certainly depends upon the colors themselves, how they lay on the surface, and whether or not we feel they are market acceptable and able to be graded.

Rick