• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins From The Old Country - Russia

11 posts in this topic

I am beginning to go through my Russian Coins and instead of posting them in other posts, I thought that a dedicated post would be appropriate for any Russian Coins that all folks would like to post.

Please post any and all Russian Coins with questions and facts so that we may learn.

This is an 1878 5 Kopeck. I am concerned about the appearance, thinking that it looks too clean and nice. Any opinions on whether this coin has possibly been "messed with"?

Rey

18785KopecksObv.jpg

18785KopecksRev.jpg

Roman,

I can definitely see why it would be one of your "favorites", that is very nice and in great condition. The two I have, one of which you have seen before are quite more "seasoned" I guess. Here is the one that I have not posted unlike the other one this one is a more shiny brown with hardley any of the blackish coloring.

In your opinion are coins like these with the blackish coloring worth conserving through a service or leaving as is?

Also on this one below, the reverse has the imprint of one of the design details from the obverse next to and underneath the 5 in the date. I have looked at images of others and have not seen this. I am sure the minting process was quite crude then but is this perhaps some type of error during the minting process?

Thanks,

Rey

1785KopecksObv.jpg

1785KopecksRev.jpg

I am beginning to go through my Russian Coins and instead of posting them in other posts, I thought that a dedicated post would be appropriate for any Russian Coins that all folks would like to post.

Please post any and all Russian Coins with questions and facts so that we may learn.

This is an 1878 5 Kopeck. I am concerned about the appearance, thinking that it looks too clean and nice. Any opinions on whether this coin has possibly been "messed with"?

Rey

18785KopecksObv.jpg

18785KopecksRev.jpg

Yep rey that coin has been well messed with they are usual very sharply minted :sorry:

Rey, I'm not an expert in the series, but can tell you that the minting process was rather crude. Also, there were quite a few re-validations during 18th Century, which resulted in a lot of ovestruck coins. I have one of those with designs from 2 other hosts "bleeding through", indicating restriking during two different occasions.

I'll try to find time to take a picture of that one.

~Roman

Here's the 5 Kopecks I mentioned earlier. It appears to be overstruck on earlier 10 Kopecks of Peter III, which, in turn, was ovestruck on (what I believe to be) 5 Kopecks of Elizabeth I.

1763-Russia-5Kop.jpg

Here's one of the elements of the 10 Kopecks of Peter III and what that coin looked like at the time. Also, you can see 2 of the stars from the same design on the reverse.

1763-Russia-5Kop-1.jpg

00750q00.jpg

You can see parts of a "wreath" on the reverse, as well as "...EKb" (kopeek) on the obverse. I am guessing that, before becoming 10 Kopecks under Peter III, it was a 5 Kopecks of Elizabeth I.

1763-Russia-5Kop-2.jpg

image002.jpg

~Roman

Roman,

Very interesting and definitely exhibits the results of "crude" minting processes. Nice coins, very nice.

Here is a very worn 1799 Two Kopecks.

17992KopecksObv.jpg

17992KopecksRev.jpg