• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC service - my perspective

13 posts in this topic

I read lots of posts that draw contrast between third-party grading services. Although I enjoy reading about the inner workings of the industry, as a collector some things that may seem trivial mean alot to me. I expect they do to many.

When I attended the grading seminar at the Charlotte ANA, I was very pleased to see NGC staff teaching my class. The graders and staff were extremely helpful and their insight a pleasure. I can think of no better way to assist collectors.

I like SMS coins, and have submitted several to NGC that I felt were superior in quality. Each of those coins were correctly graded on their only submission. One was the highest ever graded by NGC in it's category. I never have the impression anyone in the grading room has any fear assigning a unique grade where warranted.

Recently, I began researching a coin about which little is known that I have some interest in owning. I emailed several people who might have some knowledge of the coin, and DWLange took the time to respond with good information. For the record, when I asked Mr.Bowers he recommended I contact him.

Every interaction I've had with customer service has been enjoyable. I am always made to feel as though I were a priority, and never feel as though I am a bother. That means alot.

To finish my thought, I expect to collect for at least another 20 years. I'm not a very important customer for any of the TPGs, but my experience certainly leads me to believe NGC is genuinely interested in the collector (even the small ones), and is genuinely interested in my business. My submissions however meager are important to me, and I appreciate NGC consistently treating them as though they were important to them as well.

Don Heath

I found the same to be true. While I haven't had the interaction Don has, I have found NGC to be extremely helpful and interested even in the smallest of ways.

R. Montgomery PMed me in regards to a possible new idea for the slabbing of Paramount Redfield coins as well as a new possible Registry short set for Ikes. Mr. Lange also responded to my questions about Wayte Raymond albums as well. My questions in the Ask NGC forum are always answered.

No these are not at all large issues in the grand scheme of things, but they were there to answer my questions and keep me informed. I appreciate when a company and those that run it can put forth the effort necessary, NCG I believe is an extremely well run company and it actually exceeds my expectations for customer service.

When I started collecting toned Peace $, I made a conscious decision to have them reside in NGC slabs. At the time it was simply because I preferred the white holder to the clear plastic. Now, though, I can see so many more reasons for this decision. NGC really should be the choice for all collectors.

Michael

No these are not at all large issues in the grand scheme of things, but they were there to answer my questions and keep me informed. I appreciate when a company and those that run it can put forth the effort necessary, NCG I believe is an extremely well run company and it actually exceeds my expectations for customer service.

To the average Joe, it's the little things that make the difference. None of us are going to be slabbing 1,000's of coins a year, so when we do ship 5 coins, making us feel special has a lasting impact.

It is very refreshing to hear that NGC is in-tune with customer service issues. That helps to create a good image for third-party grading services, even though some of the other services have just the opposite effect. I also find it interesting but completely logical that NGC has more submissions than any other service. Caring about your customers = more and more repeat business...... thumbsup2.gif

I hate to post something that appears to be a "pile on" type of post, however, I will echo braddick's viewpoint.

I have had positive experiences with both NGC and PCGS but some of my experience with PCGS only turned out smoothly, I believe, because I knew someone inside who could help me out. This isn't exactly the same thing as having a positive experience when you are a complete unknown.

There are also a small group of coins that I will submit shortly and these coins would historically have gone to PCGS. They will not this time as they will go to NGC instead. I believe in voting with your wallet and that is why I will send them to where they are going. Of course, such a small group of coins will do nothing to the bottom line of either company, but, if you know the type of coins that I own and submit then you will realize that these are the types of coins that the services love to have in their holders.

I would use NGCs services and start a registry set but the idea of spending more to do so doesn't make any sense. Most of my coins are in the ANACS slabs and I have always had great experiences with them.

Leo

Superior Thread. NGC's is very responsive to any and all collector's needs, questions and most importantly treat all collector's equally. I've had a few instances where I've directed my questions and concerns directly to Rick M, David L, John M, or Dena. I've always received a response within 24 hours and always detailed explanations of my questions. They go out of their way to make you feel important and their responses are well thought out and answered in record time. At PCGS DH only holds "court" on Tuesday, guess he's thinks doing us a favor by giving collectors 30 minutes of his time once a week. This is a daily occurance at NGC.

PCGS is a great firm but I think they've lost sight of who precipitated their success-the Collector. PCGS is still #1 but I've seen the gap between PCGS and NGC narrowing. If status quo continues in 5 years who will be on top-my money is on NGC. thumbsup2.gif

When I "renewed" my collecting after a two decade sabbatical, I was confronted with certification/slabs for the first time. My plans to re-enter the hobby included building a matched set of Morgans with all coins as close to MS 65 as possible, none better and no PL/DMPL coins. Buying certified/holdered coins seemed prudent, especially considering the enormous difference a single grade can make in some date/mint issues.

Looking back on it now, after five years back in the hobby, my decision to pursue primarily NGC over PCGS was not made in consideration of proper research. It was made on popularity, NGC being 1 of the top 2, and rumor mill, with PCGS having a rather sordid reputation for "favored submitters." I have no first-hand knowledge regarding the "favored submitter" issue with PCGS, but the rumors continue. In contrast, I've never heard a single, derogatory, comment about NGC.

As I became more knowledgable and familiar with the new grading system, I also discovered that NGC appeared to be more discriminating and maintained a higher standard of grading & accuracy than did PCGS. Of particular note is FBL Franklins. PCGS FBL Franklins are, in my personal opinion, not up to the standard of the industry, while in contrast, NGC's are.

In summary, while my decision to pursue NGC over PCGS was not properly made, it has turned out favorably. I do own a number of high grade coins in PCGS holders and they will remain as such. The value gap between PCGS and NGC certified coins that once was, is now non-existent. I firmly believe NGC will become the recognized leader, but it will take 3-5 years more.

Regarding customer service, I can only endorse the positive, NGC testimonials already posted here. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NGC and BTW, thanks for all the past help rendered.

I am definately souring on PCGS. Not so much for grading accuracy, rather, they do not take criticism well nor do they listen to their customers. And, when I say customers, I'm not speaking of the "thousand-plus at a time" submitters, or the "super-high-end" dealers. I'm talking about the average collector. PCGS just doesn't get it.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

I'm going to have to visit here more often.

Cheers,

Bob

I soured on PCGS when I started to see how their customer service was going and how they were responding to it. And, frankly, when I heard Rick Montgomery jumped ship it was significant. Not because I know him or his reputation. It was because he jumped from President of PCGS to VP of the arch competitor. That makes you take notice.

I still like my PCGS coins, but I didn't like dealing with customer support all that much. They weren't rude to me, just unhelpful. NGC has been more helpful when I've dealt with them. Just wish they would let ANA people check their orders online, too. That is a deficiency in my opinion, of NGC's customer service.

After taking the grading class this past March, I felt like I understood NGC's grading approach better and could handle it better. Of course, I've forgotten some of those lessons and need to get a refresher at some point. Just wish there were larger shows within travelling distance to me. I just can't afford to go all over the country over the course of a year.