• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please...Question regarding coin

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for questions from someone completely unexperienced in the field of coins, but here it goes. Due to a death, my brother recently aquired a large coin collection, almost all of which are various American coins. As I was looking through the collection, one coin specifically stood out to me due to what appears to be an age difference between this and the rest of the collection. I am posting a picture of the front and rear of the coin below, I apologize in advance for the blurry image of the back of the coin; I had a bit of difficulty getting the image to come out well. If anyone has any idea what this is, please let me know. I am incredibly curious as to where and when this coin originates. Thank you very much.

DSC02018.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

If it appears to be a US coin, you should post your question in the "US Coins" forum. Many of us who frequent this forum are quite ignorant about US coinage.

Whichever forum you inquire in, please try to post clear pictures with enough contrast to allow those of us with older eyes to see what you have. ;)

If you can't post better pictures, at least post :

1 - The diameter in millimeters;

2 - The weight in grams;

3 - Whether it is bronze or copper, as it appears to be, and if not, state what metal it is;

4 - Each legend on the obverse and reverse; and

5 - A description of the design elements in as much detail as possible.

That's not an American coin, it's an Ancient from Greece.
You have much better eyes than I do.

Based on how round it appears to be, I just assumed something more modern.

Hi off the top of my head its a Roman coin of constantine the 2nd (AD. 330's to the 340's i think) the revers is A camp gate with turrets.. its hard to tell from the picture but is probably a AE3 (less than 20mm) if you could could you tell me what letters are under the camp gate as i can tell you which mint it is from.. thenks for posting....dooly (thumbs u

Thanks for your responses. I made another attempt to better photograph the coin, but for whatever reason, could still not get a very clear picture. The fact that the digital camera lacks a form of manual focus would explain that. From what I can tell, the letters underneath the camp gate are SMH with another letter that looks to be either an A, S, or R. From what you have mentioned, I looked on various websites and found multiple coins quite similar, but have yet to find an exact match. Either the head was facing the wrong direction, or the tower had the incorrect amount of brick layers. From what I can tell, this coin has 8 layers of bricks, rather than the 6 or 9 that I have seen online. Once again, thank you for your help.

Thanks for your responses. I made another attempt to better photograph the coin, but for whatever reason, could still not get a very clear picture. The fact that the digital camera lacks a form of manual focus would explain that. From what I can tell, the letters underneath the camp gate are SMH with another letter that looks to be either an A, S, or R. From what you have mentioned, I looked on various websites and found multiple coins quite similar, but have yet to find an exact match. Either the head was facing the wrong direction, or the tower had the incorrect amount of brick layers. From what I can tell, this coin has 8 layers of bricks, rather than the 6 or 9 that I have seen online. Once again, thank you for your help.

mint options

SMH is Heraclea (Turkey) no forth letter

SMAL Alexandria (Egypt)

SMAN Antakiyah (turky)

SMBA Barcino(Spain) Only open from A.D. 409-11

SMSD Serdica(Bulgaria) open 303-308 and 313-314

SMTS Thessalonica (Greece)

SMTR Treveri (Germany)

So hopefully this is of some help

I was hopeing it was one of the London mints..

If you realy want to find it the best site of them all is "wildwings" but it can be hard to navigate if you are new to roman coins

best of luck and keep us informed on what you find out about the coin (thumbs u

Thanks for the complement :luhv:

It could quite easly be greek as a lot of them were minted there..

I have tried my best with the pictures

The legend on the Obv: is CONSTANTINVS IVN . NOB . C (Which will help you narrow the search on wildwinds..

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02018.jpg