• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP!!! I need some help please!! Taco Bell Returns...

47 posts in this topic

Well Taco Bell has returned again. For all those who were not here plese read. Taco Bell Napkin Story

Well I told everybody the taco Bell Napkin Expierment was done.. So I took the coin of the napkin and placed it in a 2 x 2. After like 2 months I wanted to photo the coin again so I took the coin out of the 2 x 2 and after put it into a flip. I took it with me to the TNA show to show it to a few people. Brandon Kelley from Anaconda Rare Coins told me the flip was not the best storage for it. So when I got home I took it out of the flip and set it on top of it. My desk is also my photo lab. Anyhow I am not sure if the recent AC (Made it 98 F in my room) going out in the Texas heat had anything to do with it, but look! I NEED HELP!! Stop it!! When Bradon saw it it looked like this image... plus or minus a bit for the image being a bit off...

18596.jpg

Here is a reminder of how the coin first started off...

1859o.jpg

So just a bit ago I am looking and wow my eyes are in shock!!! Here is the coin as of today. WOW is all I got to say!! WOW!!

tbnh.jpg

tbnho.jpg

tbnhr.jpg

Thoughts and comments??? How to stablize this coin?? Give me a minute to get off cloud nine. lol:)

As a side note I checked every other coin on my desk and not a one of them has turned a bit.

Bruce----Very interesting indeed. As I remember it, you started on 1/07/06. So the coin has been retoning for a total of about 18 months now. And the coin had obviously been cleaned because of the hairlines that it had. So, its surfaces were 'ripe' for accepting color.

Obviously the "heat" had something to do with the continued retoning---sunlight get on the coin too?? Are you in the wet or dry part of Texas??

My thinking to 'stop' or at least slow it down is to get it into a below 70 degree environment----make it as dry as possible----no humidity or moisture anywhere around the coin. Maybe have the coin slabbed and then put into one of those protective bags. And certainly keep it away from ALL 'paper' or 'sulfur' products.

Just goes to show what heat, humidity [moisture] and a Taco Bell napkin can get started---and maybe keep going---even after the napkin is removed. Is 'black' the final color?? Bob [supertooth]

I must say This coin is a real stunner now if you ask me. vs when I first got the coin. The coin did not really look cleaned in hand when I first got it. Moreso dipped out. At either rate it looks 100 times better now! I will be getting this one slabbed soon. Off to ANACS it goes... I figure that is the best way to help stop it. Maybe an airtite?

Bruce, this looks surprisingly similar to that 1899-O Morgan you posted.

Chris

That both have that bluish color to them. The 99 0 I posted is not mine.

This is totally amazing, Bruce.

I've avoided Taco Bell, because I love their Chalupas (sp?), but they give me indigestion. You've given me incentive to take a Prilosec and go out to a Taco Bell, dip my AT Bustie that I don't know what to do with, and wrap it in the Taco Bell napkin, put it into a kraft envelope and leave it sitting for a couple of years.

WOW again, is all I can say.

edited to add:

Can you just re-inform me, how many layers of the Taco Bell napkin are wrapped around the coin, and what is the whole thing put into?

Mike Here is what was done in a nut shell. Photo the coin.. leave on top on TB Napkin for about 2 months. The took the coin and wrapped it up in one napkin for about 6 months or so. I just had the napkin in a brown envelop I got some other coins in. I think it is a bigger craft evelop. Took the coin out and then put it in a 2x2 holder. Photoed again with better lighting and put in a flip for a few months incase I got the urge to photo it again. At the TNA I was told the flip would be doing it harm (May) Took it out and it was sitting on top of that flip since. I did not notice any toning over the summer, looked the same until now. I suspect the AC going out had something to do with it. My room was an oven. Anyhow that is what happened. When the coin was in a Napkin in the evelop, I had it in a cabinet.

Bruce----Very interesting indeed. As I remember it, you started on 1/07/06. So the coin has been retoning for a total of about 18 months now. And the coin had obviously been cleaned because of the hairlines that it had. So, its surfaces were 'ripe' for accepting color.

Obviously the "heat" had something to do with the continued retoning---sunlight get on the coin too?? Are you in the wet or dry part of Texas??

My thinking to 'stop' or at least slow it down is to get it into a below 70 degree environment----make it as dry as possible----no humidity or moisture anywhere around the coin. Maybe have the coin slabbed and then put into one of those protective bags. And certainly keep it away from ALL 'paper' or 'sulfur' products.

Just goes to show what heat, humidity [moisture] and a Taco Bell napkin can get started---and maybe keep going---even after the napkin is removed. Is 'black' the final color?? Bob [supertooth]

Heat most likely.. Sunlight has not been on the coin. Taco Bell Napkin yes.. I am not sure the coin was cleaned, but rather overdipped.

Was the flip a safeflip or a PVC flip? If it was a PVC flip, even if it was a new one there may be a film of oil on the coin now that reacted in the heat of the room. Before the flip, I might have suggested an acetone rinse to stabalize, but after the flip and the next color change I would worry that part of the color is an oil film that would be removed by the acetone.

My current advice would be to keep it in a cool dry environment and in either an airtite of a Coin World shell untill you get it slabbed.

Conder.. I cannot say if the flip had ANY PVC.. I do not think so. At either rate I would not be dipping the coin for fear of color loss. I will be going to get a holder for it today at my local dealer.

I figure that is the best way to help stop it. Maybe an airtite?

I agree. I have several ceap coins that were in the process of toning (none as attractive as your coin, one is a SAE), that I have put in Airtites and the toning process has stopped. I also store them in a temperature and humidity controlled area.

Hope this helps, and thanks for sharing...Mike

p.s. here's an example which bears some resemblance to your coin. PCGS graded the coin 64:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

I figure that is the best way to help stop it. Maybe an airtite?

I agree. I have several ceap coins that were in the process of toning (none as attractive as your coin, one is a SAE), that I have put in Airtites and the toning process has stopped. I also store them in a temperature and humidity controlled area.

Hope this helps, and thanks for sharing...Mike

You know I might just completely dip the coin white. It would be all nice and white!! ;) Ok now that your heart skipped a beat... I am joking. I would not touch this coin. Just think if this coin could get into a holder. Would be fun. If this could make it into an NGC or PCGS holder. The action on this coin if it were put up for Auction would be killer. Neddless to say it cannot and the coin is not for sale.

That coin is a beauty now Bruce!!

I happen to agree :D It went from a doggish coin to a nice looking coin! I wonder what a coin like this would bring on Ebay... Hmmm the world may never know...

Very nice Bruce. I love it.

Surely it looks better than when I first got it.

Bruce, That coin is smokin....

Would an intercept holder keep it from progressing hm

Very nice Bruce. I love it.

Surely it looks better than when I first got it.

Bruce, That coin is smokin....

Would an intercept holder keep it from progressing hm

You know I am not sure. I will talk with my local dealer today and see. Nice to see you around Maule. I will post an update as to what I got or did.

My gut reaction is that there are oils remaining on the coin and if you rinse these off with acetone that you will stabilize the surfaces.