• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zimbabwe's annual rate of inflation jumped to 7,638%

15 posts in this topic

Last month, the International Monetary Fund warned annual inflation could reach 100,000% by the end of the year.

BBC Article on hyperinflation in Zimbabwe

A $200,000 note dated for 2007...I want me one of those. Anyone know what their coins are made of?

1 Cent Bronze plated steel

5 Cents Copper-nickel

10 cents Copper-nickel

20 cents Copper nickel

50 cents Copper Nickel

$ Copper Nickel

2$ Brass

10$ Silver

just sold a load on ebay (thumbs u

When the new $200,000 note came out about a month ago it had a value of $14.00 US With this type of inflation any type of cash is virtually useless.

if you wanna see real hyper inflation than i'll upload pics of my german 50 million marks :)
The cool thing about German Papiermark hyperinflation notes is that they are dated and you can track them by month and denomination. As the months went on, the denominations got bigger, and the designs got simpler to speed production. The later ones were also uniface to speed production. Gives more of a sense of the priorites around printing them.

When the new $200,000 note came out about a month ago it had a value of $14.00 US With this type of inflation any type of cash is virtually useless

Agreed. That $200,000 note worth US$14 after one month was worth US$1.17 After 2 months it is worth US$0.02 and it is time to issue a Z$200,000,000 note worth US$20.

Last month, the International Monetary Fund warned annual inflation could reach 100,000% by the end of the year.

A $200,000 note dated for 2007...I want me one of those. Anyone know what their coins are made of?

Do any domestic coins circulate there? If so, what are they worth in relation to paper notes?

If anyone is interested in collecting coins from this country, they should consider Southern Rhodesia, the British colonial predecessor. These coins are scarce and under rated in my opinion. Unfortunately, I do not have enough coins money left to buy them since I collect other material.

if you wanna see real hyper inflation than i'll upload pics of my german 50 million marks :)
The cool thing about German Papiermark hyperinflation notes is that they are dated and you can track them by month and denomination. As the months went on, the denominations got bigger, and the designs got simpler to speed production. The later ones were also uniface to speed production. Gives more of a sense of the priorites around printing them.

thats hat i love about them. you can just see it progress. i use to have quite a large collection of german inflation notes but alas ebay got ahold of them :( i still have my favorite ones though

Do any domestic coins circulate there? If so, what are they worth in relation to paper notes?

All the coins are taken out of circulation. The intrinsic value is much much more than the face value.

All the coins are taken out of circulation. The intrinsic value is much much more than the face value.

I wonder if there is a market value for coins above paper, even if it's a black market rate.

Zimbabwe's stock market is doing great though. It's going up 1000% a year.
How do you figure that a stock market going up significantly less than the rate of inflation is doing well?

In real dollar terms it is declining sharply!

The same way the financial experts on CNBC don't adjust the DOW for inflation. And excluding food and energy Zimbabwe's rate of inflation is only 900% anyway.