• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Strike is out...

32 posts in this topic

I don't think the first-strike law suits are over, I think this is just the first LEGAL strike.

Early Release doesn't really mean anything to me, either. But it's not misleading as first strike was. If I didn't see hundreds of these on eBay I would have assumed that somehow NGC/PCGS was able to confirm these were really from the first run of the mint. That speaks fraud to me, maybe not deliberate.

I still commend NGC, they could have fought it, and not changed their policies until the bitter end. Business pressures often skirt the ethical and legal boundaries.

I don't pretend that NGC/PCGS, eBay, TeleTrade, QVC, Heritage or the coin dealer down the street has my best interests at heart. I prefer to do business with an entity that corrects mistakes when they are pointed out.

I disagree that it is dead.People will always pay Money for what they think is worht something.You have various stages of Marketing.There is a stage where people think they have to have somehting because they feel it is unique.Numismedia gives "No price" for a First Strike" but has also said it might bring a !0% premium in the same grade.There was a First Strike Silver Eagle MS70 biiding on Ebay over the weekend.Numismedia priced the non first strike for the same coin in that grade at $660.00.A 10% premium brings it to $730.00 .The coin went for $911.00

Perhaps others have other sources but I have spent many hours on the Internet looking for Silver Eagles in MS70 with dates of 1986 to say 2000.Can't find them.It is difficult to 2005.If you can find on they are really over priced.I found a 2004 in MS70 and the dealer wanted $399.00.Numisedia lists it in this grade as $275.00.Is it worth the $399.00 the dealer wants for it or the $275.00 that Numismedia says it is worth?It is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.If they are palnning to resell it then they will have one price.If they want it for a Registry or as an Investment then it will have a different value to some people.There are people who are willing to pay a reasonable price just to have them regardless of the Controversy.Some of these Sellers on EBAY are ridiculous wanting as much as $895.00 as a BIN.They can keep the coin and put whatever Marketing costs until they realize there is no market and the Prices will adjust themselves.

Meanwhile there are different reasons for people who Purchase Coins and people collect different coins for certain reasons that are not the same for everybody.I have no interest in Wheat Pennies or Colonials or Commeratives or various other types.Doesn't mean that it is not important to others.I have no interest in spending $700.00 or more and paying $10.00 for a Hot Dog at a Sports venue or a few thousand for a ticket to the Super Bowl.To me it is a waste of Money.To others Coin Collecting is a waste of Money.