• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is with Jefferson's crazy nose on these presidential proofs?

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the deal is with these coins. Sorry for the pictures, was looking through 100s of sets and just took some quick shots. The first picture has the crazy nose and some split thing in the ear. The second shot shows an even crazier nose and some split in the upper lip (but the ear seems ok). Anyone care to guess what the deal is?

42542-crazynose1.jpg.94ec3f06ac9192008923d5890a91bc5d.jpg

42543-crazynose2.jpg.fea47374251c2fe85f2e0c64699f09ce.jpg

I don't know what has caused it but whatever the problem is it has to be in the die and it looks like it must be in two different dies which makes me suspect a damaged working hub.

They can't be strike throughs or post mint damage because the frost is continuous and unbroken. A strike through would not show the cameo frost in the bottoms of the depressions, and post mint damage would show scrapes and breaks in the frost. I see neither of those. That tells me that the problem was in the die and was frosted along with the rest of the die. But depressions in the coin means raised features in the die. What could cause a raised lump in the die on Jefferson's nose? Only thing I can think of is a dent in his nose on the working hub used to create the die.

The second photo is out of focus but the dent in the nose does not appear to be quite the same and the dent on the earlobe is different, this would probably mean two different dies with one of them reworked slightly before it was frosted. I find it hard to believe that they could have missed that nose though.