• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of additional slab info - pedigree/star etc.

13 posts in this topic

With respect to the grading company guaranty, just how quantifiable is any of the additional info that is placed on a slab, (assuming liability, of course).

With respect to pedigree i've seen people who claim the markup could reasonably by 10-15% over the same coin w/o pedigree. Is Norweb 10% and Eliasberg 15%? Is a 75% markup clearly ridiculous? Could a certain pedigree actually de-value a coin? As there is a limited market of such coins is there any way to come up with a valid number?

With respect to the NGC * rating. Is there any way to put a price tag on this commentary by the graders. If you buy a star coin based on the fact that it was starred and it's just a dog to you should you be compensated? How much?

Even with respect to variety attribution, while there may be coins that have clearly recognized values for certain varieties, others are obviously so scarce as to have a market that can offer very little help with respect to "value added."

In my mind, the advent of slabs brought the hobby/business into a new era with respect to counterfeiting/severe overgrading. The more reputable the service, the better it's guaranty with respect to the above (or is it the other way around?). NGC and PCGS clearly have the most comprehensive guaranties, hence the coins in their slabs are generally much more marketable.

The major companies use what is commonly referred to as "market grading" when evaluating coins. They are basically graded at the number that the corresponds with the price that, theoretically, would/should be paid for the coin.

The expansion of liability into areas that are not particularly "market driven" simply due to lack of a fair sized market expose the companies to risks that they probably never anticipated. While making the consumer happy and whole for mistakes that the company made is clearly of benefit to all, isn't it possible that there are some situations that may never reach a satisfactory conclusion simply because they are so unusual? (assuming liability, of course).

z

Zenny, I don't think there is any formula whatsoever. But in the case of you-know-who's pedigree on a certain slab we bought, the markup was based exclusively on the customer's offer, which was to go as high as double retail.

Typically, I would personally not pay any markup at all. Dennis has a different point of view, however.

James

would using how many more points you get for a given pedigree in the pcgs registry be a good correlate for what 'value' pcgs themselves would place on a coin like that?

well for me

this is my take on the star designation

i love it thumbsup2.gif

with this qialifier as per the below

take this coin for example it is graded ms68 star by ngc flowerred.gif

just by itself and looking at the coin sight seen a coin within my self proclaimed speciality of legend obv. halfdimes busimess strikes lol

this coin has to be one of the best eye appealling toned half dimes in existance and combined with its superb technical metits the cameo from the prooflike surfaces

this coin is mintstate by the way

this coin is a really special coin with its monster 893whatthe.gifeye appeal and especially so combined again with its superb technical merits

now yes the coin has a star and even without the star it is a total monster but is is nice to have a coin that is not only all there and then some and one of the finest known mintstate eye appealling half dimes but also to be reconized on the holder as such does no harm to me

or to anyone else for that matter

in fact it might do some good as a teaching tool of what a real techincally superb monster eye appealling totally original coin should look like

if anyone ever saw this halfdime in person sight seen and was a starting collector not really understanding what they are looking at

again

this would be a learning curve for them

so for me a win win situation

of course being an imperfect world i am sure there are many coins not in star holders ny ngc that are monster eye appealling

i myself like the star grade for coins pre 1950 as in general most all of the time when you see the star on the holder for pre 1950 coins they are exceptionally eye appealling

but such is the world we live in and the subjective nature of the human grading factor and then to add the human factor in well such is the nature of the beast

well in this case with this ms68 * star halfdime in the photo they got this one right on the nose!!

michael

as for other star coins all i have seen were monster exceptional coins and with coins it is all on a coin by coin basis

again this halfdime weather starred or not is still a monster eye appealling coin! so for me the star doesnot bother me one bit on this coin

as i have seen this coin sight seen and since i specialize in halfdimes legend obv. business strikes i myself many years before the star always thought this was a one of a kind monster eye appealling coin!

i am glad someone agrees with me 893applaud-thumb.gif

michael

258343-1860halfdime.jpg.3d3fc18ab88dd3ebb0032a60c1119ed8.jpg

Zenny: "Market Grading" to me, is more than just price. It is the interdependent relationship of coin demand, price and grading strictness. IMHO, there is a direct correlation of higher demand/looser grading, lower demand/tighter grading. Or higher price/tighter grading, lower price/looser grading (Price Demand Theory). Market grading is also a concensus of grade, loosely based on observed populations against a concensus derived, standard range for each grade of coin. This range can be different for types, years or mints (i.e. 1928-P vs. 1928-S Peace Dollars).

This ends up being a rather complex description, but IMHO it describes the real world of Market Grading. 893frustrated.gif

All of the designations are highly subjective and not possible to place a precise value. I have seen a few * coins that I wouldn't pay much extra for. I've seen some regular ones I thought were exceptional. Pedigrees have no added value for me.

You are right, though, that these designations don't play fair with market grading really.

Personally I find the idea of all of these designations a bit much. I used to laugh at some of the ACG ones like on their quarters.....FEB...Full Eagle Beak. Now it would seem that such a thing is not out of the realm of possibility.

As far as the star goes, I think it is a downright silly gimmick. What the cats at NGC may think is * quality, I may find as Ugly! What I might deem * quality, they may think of as ugly.

I wouldn't object to owning a pedigreed coin but I wouldn't pay much more for the name. It's neat but not expensive neat.

Personally I find the idea of all of these designations a bit much. I used to laugh at some of the ACG ones like on their quarters.....FEB...Full Eagle Beak. Now it would seem that such a thing is not out of the realm of possibility.

As far as the star goes, I think it is a downright silly gimmick. What the cats at NGC may think is * quality, I may find as Ugly! What I might deem * quality, they may think of as ugly.

I wouldn't object to owning a pedigreed coin but I wouldn't pay much more for the name. It's neat but not expensive neat.

Call me stupid but I'm the reverse .I would rather have all * coins than any of the pedigrees.

They Loved Their Coins,But unless It was from a Major world Figure then a Pedigree Doesn't do a thing for me.

All the * coins I have seen were extreamly pleasing to the eye.For me thats what coins are all about.

This is my first post on these boards however I am active on the Ngc washington quarter registry. I see many familar names on these boards. I hope to contribute some and learn alot.

I personally like the * system however it is frequently over used. Some of my nicest coins have the ngc* however I have seen dogs carry the * as well.

Craig