• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which 1875 5c do you prefer, and why?

Which 1875 5c do you prefer (please explain your opinion)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1875 5c do you prefer (please explain your opinion)

17 posts in this topic

I usually don't start the same thread here and ATS, but I'm interested in learning how and why different people see coins differently. Please don't answer the poll here if you've already done so on the other side. For sake of the poll, please assume that one picture is as good as the other, and that both represent the coins accurately.

Edited to add: I just realized that you can't see the results unless you vote; so, it's unfair to ask you not to vote twice. Just let me know if you also voted ATS.

Picture courtesy of Mike Printz:

1875O.jpg

Picture courtesy of me :) :

1875S1-0000obv.jpg

I prefer the first one. If forced to articulate precisely why, it's because...

It has beautiful original color and gem surfaces, but more importantly a magnificent full strike. Look at the shield lines, scroll details, and in particular the leaf veins - all fully brought up. The second coin is struck from a later state of its obverse die. The die is beginning to dish from perimeter cracks, and the force of the strike is therefore not fully imparted to the planchet. The result is some weakly struck elements (although the shield lines are still respectable). The weakness is apparent at IGWT (the motto, not you, Lou) and the leaf clusters on the right side.

Both are nice examples of a tough date, but I vote for the first one.

;):devil:

I love the variation in toning color, strike, luster, and appearance of the first coin better. Either one would be fine for my collection but if I had to choose, I'd take the first.

I prefer the first one. If forced to articulate precisely why, it's because...

It has beautiful original color and gem surfaces, but more importantly a magnificent full strike. Look at the shield lines, scroll details, and in particular the leaf veins - all fully brought up. The second coin is struck from a later state of its obverse die. The die is beginning to dish from perimeter cracks, and the force of the strike is therefore not fully imparted to the planchet. The result is some weakly struck elements (although the shield lines are still respectable). The weakness is apparent at IGWT (the motto, not you, Lou) and the leaf clusters on the right side.

Both are nice examples of a tough date, but I vote for the first one.

Did you replace Jayson Blair at the New York Times? (shrug)lol

The second coin seems to have a better strke, despite a later die state. Also, the first coin looks too much like a proof, and I prefer business-strike luster on my shield nickels as opposed to prooflike luster. Therefore, I'll vote for number 2.

The second coin seems to have a better strke, despite a later die state. Also, the first coin looks too much like a proof, and I prefer business-strike luster on my shield nickels as opposed to prooflike luster. Therefore, I'll vote for number 2.
I'm not seeing the "looks too much like a proof" appearance on the first coin, just a lovely toned, satiny business strike.

For purposes of comparison, here are images of a PCGS PR66 Cameo example which I bought for a client earlier this year :

707812.jpg707813.jpg

Without reading what the other posters have written, I picked the second coin. I’m just more comfortable with the look of that coin but it may be because I collect silver coins and that second coin is closer to the colors that I am use to.

I think Tom picked “Lima beans and liver” – that’s just an FYI

I prefer the first coin due to the better die cracks and denticles, seems a far sharper coin. The coloration does not really influence my decision on these two coins while it could on another. The first coin just has more eye appeal to me.

I like the eye appeal of the first one. It has interesting colors and an original look. If it was dipped at one time, I don't care.

The second one does nothing for me. It's got that excessive luster that looks like it came out of a bottle. That golden color does not do a lot for me either.

The first coin and the things I have done with liver would make most of you lose it. hm:o :o :o

It's probably nothing compared to what David Crosby did to his liver. hm

And for the record, I chose the second coin. I'm not a fan of the type of toning on the first coin, and the second looks to have dripping luster, not very common on these coins...Mike

I like the details of the first coin as well as its color. The shield is sharply delineated and the die crack is very appealing.

I'm answering this without having read any of the responses. I'll have to go with the first photo. Frosty steely blue vs rish lustrous golden brown is a hard choice to make, but the first photo is more restful to my eye and it makes the strike look sharper. The second one softens the whole thing, probably because it's more lustrous. Lovely photographs, both of them.