• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artificial toning on gold

70 posts in this topic

Wow, those sure are some great coins you all have got! I suppose instead of going bankrupt, I just need to get more money in. smile.gif Tennessee is implementing the voluntary tax (lottery) this fall. Maybe I'll be able to get some really cool saints after I win it all! (refund) cloud9.gif

Neil

I suppose since now that I have asked people to show me their gold, I'll show the only 2 gold $20s I have.

1908 NM MS-63

1924 MS63

I was lucky on the 1924. I bought it when gold was cheap and it was raw and the guy sold it as a 62. Of course, that was also before I really got back into the hobby!!

jom, my 27 Saint is a nice coin, but I think it's appropriately graded. Right now I have 2 Saints at NGC, my 11-D which I think is overgraded, and my 28 which I think is undergraded. They are both in quality control right now, so I should know the results next week.

Oldtrader, I can understand your issues with conservation. Right now I am getting ready to send a common date Indian eagle to NCS because it has really bad spots on the reverse. I have never done it before, but would only be willing to try it first on this common date coin. I would listen to Darktone's advice though, since he has experience with NCS and gold, and not all of it was good. As for not many collectors, I think you are right, but I've noticed we've got more competition lately, so it might be time to start more work on my set, I am ashamed to admit it's been 6 months since I've added a coin!

nwcs, I think both your Saints look wonderful! Of course I've never met a Saint I didn't like (other than those bullion coin monstrocities of course). I think many collectors have a Saint or two in their collections, but it's a much bigger undertaking to actually collect them!

Any of you Saint collectors see a complete set displayed? I did! laugh.gif

I've actually seen it a couple of times in the mid-90s. I don't know who the guy was but he said he was a truck driver most of his life. It was interesting to see that a truck driver could have the where-with-all to afford to put together a set like that. And, yes, it DID have a 27-D. All of the coins were MS although he told me a story that PCGS had originally put his 21-P in an AU58 holder but he later talked them into a MS62...like that mattered...lol

This guy used to show his set at shows but I can't remember which but I do NOT think it was Long Beach (my usual hang out). It was probably the Denver ANA in 96 and possibly Anaheim the year before. He'd also sit with David Akers...but since I haven't seen Akers at a show in years...I don't know what happened to the guy or his set. Who knows? Maybe he registered it later on ????

jom

I've actually seen it a couple of times in the mid-90s. I don't know who the guy was but he said he was a truck driver most of his life. It was interesting to see that a truck driver could have the where-with-all to afford to put together a set like that. And, yes, it DID have a 27-D. All of the coins were MS although he told me a story that PCGS had originally put his 21-P in an AU58 holder but he later talked them into a MS62...like that mattered...lol

Which goes to show that the "common man" can put together a great set. But that great sets are not put together overnight. They require patience and dedication.

Mike: Thanks, I will take your (and others) advice on conservation of my Half Eagles. I do not mind the copper and do not plan to sell them any time soon. So, I guess for the present, it is not an issue.

I remember seing a complete Saint set at a show (Long Beach?) back before slabs came into being. They were almost all, BU coins.

Hmmm, I'll need to look more closely at them! I'm very inexperienced on gold, which is why I'm cramming all the info I can before I heedlessly plunge in on impulse buying every coin I can afford. smile.gif