• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reconsidering my Registry Sets

8 posts in this topic

After buying a Silver 1976-S JFK Half and Ike Dollar, both graded PCGS MS-67, I was looking at my registry sets and wondered if I was over doing it. Yes, I admit to getting the bug last year and started to build a few sets. Now I have an Ike mint and proof sets, SBA mint and proof sets, ASE uncirculated set, and 1976 mint, silver, and proof sets. Currently, only the 1976 mint and silver sets are in the top 10--and a very long way from #1.

The ASE set is just for fun. I know I do not have enough to compete for a top set, but it's silver and, at the very least, has value on that accord. So I am keeping that. The 1976 sets are a personal passion as they were really the first coin change in my conscious lifetime (the JFK Half and clad changes do not count since I was only 4 at the time). I've been pulling bicentennial quarters from change for years. These sets are not going away either.

But I am not sure there is an interest in the other sets any more. The SBA sets were just a lark when I purchased 1979 and 1980 unopened Mint SBA sets and sent the coins to NGC. The big find was the 1979-P Wide Rim that was graded MS-65. But I am not sure I am interested in continuing this set. And the Ike set... I like the Eisenhower dollars because they are the last "big" dollars produced by the US. Both the Mint and Proof sets are ok, but they are not a top set.

I think I convinced myself to sell the SBA dollars, including the 1979-P Wide Rim. But I am not sure about the Ike set. There's a part of me that says to sell it so I can afford better 1976 coins (do you know what an 1976 Ike Dollar at MS67+ costs?). But there's a part of me that thinks I could get interested again and regret selling them. The 1971 Ike graded MS-65 by NGC is nice and worth a lot (very weak strikes that year, NGC top grade is MS-66), but the others are "ordinary." Well... not ordinary because I have rejected higher grade coins with better grades because they did not have eye appeal, which is important to me.

So what do you think? Should I sell the SBAs? What about the Ikes? Why am I so conflicted about this? hm

Scott :hi:

I think that nobody's opinion, except your own, matters. It's what YOU want to collect that is most important...Mike

p.s. keep the Ikes and the 65 wide rim SBA. ;)

I have to agree too, sit on it. If in doubt, just sit on it. Someday, when you are totally clear about something, then you can go ahead and do whatever it is you feel so sure about.

I think got some pretty good advice Scott, sit tight and clear your head. (thumbs u

You don’t have to keep buying for these collections right now, just put those coins aside for the time being until you’re sure what direction you want to go. hm

Havig been there and SOLD in haste I would recommend the above also.

I had a Complete Dansco Mercury Dime set ,,, Sold it ... Regretted it ... rebuilt another at a much higher cost I might add and still have it .. ( Blargh )