• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any other auction sites for coins?

8 posts in this topic

I like to buy certified type coins in the price range of $50 to $1,000. Currently the only three auction house that I buy from are TT, HA.com, and Ebay. Does anyonelse know of any other auction sites that would be right for me. Thanks

John

I like to buy certified type coins in the price range of $50 to $1,000. Currently the only three auction house that I buy from are TT, HA.com, and Ebay. Does anyonelse know of any other auction sites that would be right for me. Thanks

John

You might also consider Bowers, Stack's and Superior, among others.

Aww... James... you beat me to them.

I've met the guys (and gals) at ACSB. They are quality people and sell quality coins. Even their raw coins are quality... or at least accurate described so you know what you are getting. Their catalog is terse, but they are willing to work with you if you call them... toll free! I've been buying from them for the last three years and have never sent a coin back.

ACSB does a mail bid sale every month. You can bid online and see their monthly catalog online, too. But their printed catalog has specials not publicized on their website, including the "Green Pages" in the middle of their catalog. It may be too late to get a catalog to bid on the August mail bid sale, but get on their list to get the September catalog. It's free and you may find something you like!

Scott :hi:

John

You might also consider Bowers, Stack's and Superior, among others.

Are you serious about Stacks', Mark? My experience with them as middle class collector was pretty negative. They couldn't be bothered to spend the time of day with me, and I regularly spent more than $1,000 per coin 20 years ago when a grand could buy something decent. I've purchased a few things there over counter over 40+ years, but for the most part going to Stacks' was pretty frustrating experience.

Have they changed since they merged with Bower's new company?

Maybe it's how I look. Maybe these guys think I look like pauper, and I’m not worth their while. I seem to turn off virtually all of the pretentious dealers because it seems like they don’t think I have much money. I end up working with the medium sized guys. A fair amount of my better early coins came from places like C.E. Bullowa (Coin Hunter) and Robert Bachelor back in the 1970s and ‘80s, The Worthy Coin Shop (Don Romano) in the ‘80s, JJ Teaparty in the ‘80s and ‘90s and Northeast Numismatics in the late ‘90s and 2000’s.

Aww... James... you beat me to them.

I've met the guys (and gals) at ACSB. They are quality people and sell quality coins. Even their raw coins are quality... or at least accurate described so you know what you are getting. Their catalog is terse, but they are willing to work with you if you call them... toll free! I've been buying from them for the last three years and have never sent a coin back.

ACSB does a mail bid sale every month. You can bid online and see their monthly catalog online, too. But their printed catalog has specials not publicized on their website, including the "Green Pages" in the middle of their catalog. It may be too late to get a catalog to bid on the August mail bid sale, but get on their list to get the September catalog. It's free and you may find something you like!

Scott :hi:

Yep, I agree.

Also, if you're slick with eXcel, you can cut-and-paste their catalog off their website into a spreadsheet and write a formula to filter out all the certified coins. You'll find that it's a low percentage, but if that's what you're looking for, it can be done.