• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You don't have to guess the grade...

15 posts in this topic

... if you don't want to! ;)

After a week of the Real World [TM] getting in the way of my numismatic endeavors, I decided to finally get together a few coins to send for grading. These are two that will be send on Monday. Although I've posted these before, these are better picture.

Now I am curious as to what NGC may grade them! hm

Scott :hi:

42434-1937-D-3-Legged-Buffalo-Nickel.jpg.d766efc03c819e1a1dd093f1a21e859b.jpg

42435-1942-over-1-Mercury-Dime.jpg.e8e666ef73215bbfff03ece30eaa2e83.jpg

What a couple of "Key" date killers there Scott (thumbs u

This is just a guess on both but IMHO Merc VF-30 and F-12 on the Buff. I hope I am way off good luck. :hi:

BTW great photos. :grin:

The Merc looks like it might have been cleaned in the past but I will say XF.

Buffualo looks like a VF natural to me, i'm not an expert in any way just my opinion.

Ray

Thanks everyone!

Sometimes there is a problem getting perfect pictures of coins. The Merc is probably closer to an AU. There is nice luster in the coin that did not come out on camera. I tried different lighting to bring out the luster, but it did not work. The Buffalo is in the VF range.

In either case, I'm happy with both coins. We'll see what NGC has to say! :baiting:

Scott :hi:

Sweet coins! The merc will body bag for the scratch :(

I was thinking the same thing originally, but since it's a 42/1 you don't think they would cut it some slack for its rarity?

I guess I'm the loose one in this crowd, as I'll go with AU on the dime and XF on the nickel.

Edited to add: In my defense against the crime of being overly loose, here is an image of an NGC XF40 Three Legger :o

;)

491472.jpg

491474.jpg

Sadly I've got to say body bag on the Mercury dime for cleaning and perhaps for the scratch. As for cutting some slack because of rarity, that did not stop NGC from body bagging this 1796 half dime, and the 1796 half dime is many times rarer than either of these pieces.

1796HalfDimeV-1O.jpg1796HalfDimeV-1R.jpg

The nickel should grade somewhere around VF-25 or so. Still given grade-flation, Mark might be correct with his EF prediction. Sadly the services have been over grading circulated better date coins for a long time. That is NOT a new development.

Mark, I think the buff would not grade EF if for no other reason than the horn is not truly complete. Look at the horn on your example, nice full horn no question.

Scott send the Merc to ANACS and get a grade-EF at least maybe AU. NGC will not grade that coin-my 59 AU IHC was bagged for an eraser mark on the reverse. I really feel it will be bagged. Good luck on a pair of super error coins. LUST, LUST!!!

(thumbs u